Hally Hansen
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Hally Hansen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 356 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Hally Hansen

Long storey short, winters coming and it's gonna be a pretty cold one this year. Can tell that just by how fall has been going so far. I me and my girl where talking about jackets and she mentioned this brand, so out of curiosity, any of you ever hear of or ow anything made by Hally Hansen?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7333 Times on 4411 Posts
Likes Given: 9024

http://www.hellyhansen.com/

Old 10-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Helley Hanson is very fine raingear.
You will pay for it but it will last several years.

NEVER FORGET

Old 10-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #4

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes - I've owned a Helly Hanson parka for 12 years. It is one of the best pieces of outdoor gear that I own. I particularly like it because it has a hood that rolls up and becomes the collar on the parka.

Helly makes all kinds of professional gear for fisherman, guides, etc.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Helly Hansen makes great gear. It's a little more expensive, but in my opinion it's worth every penny if, like me, the thought of being both cold and wet is your own personal hell.

I used to work outside in the PNW every day and I can tell you nothing is worse than being cold and wet and going from inside the truck to back out in it after your fingers just start to get some feeling back.

Good rain gear and good boots were essential for me and Helly Hansen was definitely a brand I trusted.

JD

Old 10-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I got spoiled working at vail resorts last year - I could buy helly hansen at 10% over cost. I wish I would have bought more now that I'm gone. Great line of outerwear!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:08 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 356 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So far it seems like you all agree that it's great for rain gear and helps to repel moisture, but how would you guys rate it against the cold? I've been looking at one for about a month now and almost bought it. The only reason I haven't is because the website doesn't show what their rates to and when I called the CSR said that it depended on a million and a half different things.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #8

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Helly Hansen got it's start making sailing gear and has now branched out to making ski and snowboard wear. I am actually a HH dealer, and we never have any issues with them. I will tell you this, and this goes for pretty much all ski/snowboard stuff this season. If you find what you want BUY IT, don't wait. There is no reordering anymore, what a store has in stock is pretty much all they can get until next season.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

Old 10-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
So far it seems like you all agree that it's great for rain gear and helps to repel moisture, but how would you guys rate it against the cold?
I would rate it average, perhaps a little above. Like with a lot of outdoor gear layering is needed to get the best overall comfort and protection.

There was a product, I don't know I they still sell it, called Flexothane. They made serious rain gear that also was well insulated and worked really well. The material had some sort circular weave to it so if you ever caught it on a nail or something it wouldn't rip in a long, jagged line, but kind of coil so it could be easily patched.

Of the two I would say the Helly was better outright rain gear, but the Flex was better snow/cold gear.

JD

Old 10-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #10

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Now, if you want some REAL high end stuff check out http://www.arcteryx.com/?EN
We used to carry them, but they did not sell very well due to the price being too high for my average customer. The quality is supurb and the stuff lasts forever.

I do need to add that Dillinger is 100% spot on with his layering comment. The stuff we sell tends to be very lightly insulated because skiing and snowboarding is a active sport where you generate lots of body heat. I get people in every day that just want a warm coat to go sit on their ass at a football game. I inform them that they will probably not be happy with many of our items as they are not made for that type of use.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

Dillinger Likes This