Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > GunVault 1000 series "MiniVaults"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Default GunVault 1000 series "MiniVaults"

Folks,

I hope it's okay for me to put this here. WIth two kids still in the house and onboard my boat, where to safely keep my firearms is a huge concern for me. Im not so concerned about floods or fire - I have insurance to cover such incidents, but the safety of my family and friends in tantamount.

The scope of my comments here is storage of handguns for safety, security and quick access.

Requirements:
* Quick and quiet access to loaded (unchambered) hand guns and a extra magazine
* Access in the dark
* Easy access for nervous/wired/adrenilized operators (me)
* Size and ability to "blend in"

Test subject one:
GunVault GVB1000C-DLX. This is the deluxe version of their "mini vault". Deluxe includes a "wall wart" power supply with battery backup, a small LED light to light up the interior. The "B" from GVB is biometric, meaning it reads your fingerprint to open. Of course, there is a key based backup acess.

Features:
* 16ga steel
* Foam lined interior with room for a couple of FS autos and mags. As mentioned, I keep one FS auto in mine, mag in + an extra mag
* tamper proof omi directional spring-loaded door
* 12L x 8.1"w x 4.9"h
* 9lbs
* $220 via ebay - brand new

Summary: Took me about three minutes to unbox, load a battery and program my fingerprint. User should practice opening the safe and getting your fingerprint scanned and catching the door. See gripe. :-)
Gripe: The door is loud when it springs open. You should practice catching it, else the whole house will know you just opened it.

Test subject two:
Gunvault GV1000C-STD. This is the STANDARD version of the same vault. Exactly the same as the first test subject, except:

* NO biometric fingerprint reader - uses finger tip buttons to put in a sequence of numbers instead (cyber safe style).
* No wall-wart power supply
* No LED light inside

I bought this because of my great experience with my first. I'm even more thrilled with this one. I got this off of Craigslist for $60. Can't beat that.

Issue; when I got home I noticed that the two nuts that hold the battery package to the top of the safe were missing. I called GunVault and they sent new nuts right away. When I got the batts installed, I noticed there was a very high-pitched whine coming from the safe. A good smack to the side made it stop. I called GunVault again. This time they said they would send me a brand new safe. No questions asked (!!). I even told them I bought it from someone on Craigslist. I commented that I sure wish it had the AC option and if they would sell me the wall-wart I'd be happy to wire it up. Something tells me when my new safe shows up, it will have the wall-wart with it? I'll report back.

Sent from my iPad

Built AR-15, 5.56 & .300 AAC Blackout tops
Yugoslavian AK-47
Remington 1100 Tactical Shotgun
Remington 1100 Shotgun
Crosman 760 pump gun <smirk>
M1 Garand .30-06
M1903 Springfield Sporter .30-06
Sig Sauer P250 Sub Compact 9mm
Sig Sauer TacOps 1911

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great report JC and good info!

How about doing it again over in the Reviews/Accessories Section?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6740 Times on 4072 Posts
Likes Given: 8033

I have a Gun Vault and by description I think I have the Gunvault GV1000C-STD.
It was sent to me by my friend in Cali who got me interested in guns. It holds the two guns I currently own and if I ever buy another gun, I think I'm going to need a bigger gun safe. I keep my guns locked at all times.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
Great report JC and good info!

How about doing it again over in the Reviews/Accessories Section?
Canebrake, thanks! I actually tried that. I think I have to be a mod, because it said I didn't have permission. Anyway, that's what I wanted to do. Can a mod/admin help me out here?

PS - GunVault makes several sizes of pistol nag long gun solutions
Yugoslavian AK-47
Remington 1100 Shotgun
M1 Garand .30-06
Sig Sauer TacOps 1911

Last edited by JeffCooper; 09-04-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #5

PS, I got this *perfect* little cubbyhole aboard my boat with access to power. NO ONE would ever suspect, nor would any one be able to see what I was doing either. Heh "Opps! Wrong boat!"

Yugoslavian AK-47
Remington 1100 Shotgun
M1 Garand .30-06
Sig Sauer TacOps 1911