Gun socks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Gun socks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Gun socks

Hi everyone

When using gun socks does the rifle have to be completely free from oil to use them,I ask this because I like to keep my rifle well oiled when stored back in the gun safe to prevent rust from moisture,the sock that I'll be getting is a silicone treated type,is it safe to place it in the sock with oil on the barrell........cheers

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

It won't hurt it.
It is best to have the gun oiled well if you are going to store it in a sock, the addition of silicone helps aid in rust prevention.
Storing guns long term in a gun sock is not the best idea. They are really meant more for transportation.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #3

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks mate

Why do you say not to store in the sock long term....I seem to have a lot of moisture under the house where my safe is located,I've read on the net that some people have stored there rifles in socks for months at a time with no problems....have you had any probs yourself.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouva1 View Post
Thanks mate

Why do you say not to store in the sock long term....I seem to have a lot of moisture under the house where my safe is located,I've read on the net that some people have stored there rifles in socks for months at a time with no problems....have you had any probs yourself.
With the silicone infused one you probably won't have any issues but with a regular old sock you're trapping air and potentially moisture around the gun as well as basically wrapping it in a moisture attracting sponge. A dehumidifier would be a better idea.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7092 Times on 4269 Posts
Likes Given: 8600

A very well respected member here stores all his guns in Bore Store silicone infused gun socks. Pistols, rifles, scoped, etc. They are relatively inexpensive. I plan on buying one for each of my guns in the very near future.