Gun safes - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear >

Gun safes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 6906 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Originally Posted by fixxer View Post
If you believe what they told you at Gander Mountain, then you better do your own research and look again.
Essentually what you bought was a lighter safe with stripped down features to sell for a cheap price. The "Timber Ridge" series was made for Gander Mountain to compete against the rest of their entry level stuff and against sellers like Tractor Supply and Sams club. Everything from the thickness of the plating to the bolts and locking mechanism was cut down to cut costs vs this Fatboy series that the OP asked about. I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing that my 800lb safe anchored to the concrete floor qualifies as a gun locker. In the end you can weld an inch of plating all over the safe but someone that determined in the first place is gonna just go through the lock. No safe is fullproof. These things are all rated by time it takes a would be theif to break in and gain access. Im sure a gumsmith can jump in and give us specifics of what the locks are rated for. When you buy from places like Gander Mountain to save a few bucks, you generally get less than what you paid for on the end. I can imagine the blank look on the kids face if you try to go back to Gander Mountain with a customer service issue.
i know what i bought there. the point is that a power tool will go throug a fatboy or my timbrline nobig diff. the thickness of cheap sheet steel that liberty uses doesnt matter. the cheaper version offers no less protection than the more pricey fatboy. my point is they are not safes but merely lockable containers.

with my metal working tools i can be in my safe through the side in minutes. i didnt ask the gander mountain sales guy a thing about its capabilities since i am very well acquanted with what a real safe is. my concern was price vs storage and organizational layout. i dont believe a damn thing liberty has to say about fire ratings lock toughness etc. the metal liberty "safes" are made of is cheap roll steel increasing its thickness offers no real protection. its very easy to cut with real power tools.

real safes are tpical constructed with either plate steel as used to armor fighting vehicles or cut resistant plate steel alloys

yes the lock is always the weak link but only real pro's know how to defeat even simple locks as found on liberty products. for real security you need glass locker door and true steel thickness. but most people myself included dont need that much security. so things like liberty safe company product serve just fine.

liberty services the timberline gun lockers they sell whether it is purchased from gander walmart cabelas bass pro or fred's midnite emporium.

whether you buy a more pricey fatboy which offers no more real protection or the less cost alternatives the fact is liberty skews their propaganda to imply their product seem something it isnt.

i think you missed my meaning. my whole point is dont be suckered by liberty and that retard spokesman glenn beck into thinking your getting something your not.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 12-01-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 AM   #12
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i think you missed my meaning. my whole point is dont be suckered by liberty and that retard spokesman glenn beck into thinking your getting something your not.
Gotcha. That was kinda my point with Gander Mountain and the like too. I know there are some experienced younger folks (like the CMP trained types for example) but it seems like I am walking into a Junior High prom with camoflage theme when it comes to shopping there. It seems like the only people over 25 that work there are in the back smithing or managing the place. I rarely go into these places unless I am killing time. I have to admit that they always have a decent selection of just about everything but they seem to recruit at high school. Call it profiling but I always have to make an effort look for the older folks in these stores if I have any questions. I didn't know Beck was a spokesman for Liberty. I hate that retard too and now I'm concerned about the virtue of the company behind my gun sanctuary. I'm thoroghly convinced he is constrained to using chalk due to his danger of handling sharper objects. I digress...
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:01 AM   #13
Default Buy Big

Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
+10 on what Tango said.. go bigger than what you think you need. I got mine and outgrew it within a year. Now I am needing to either have two or sell this one and get nothing for it compared to what I paid.
I second or third that. I bought one, added another and am looking to replace both with a bigger one now.
Signature violation. If you wish to shill your wares, ask a moderator how to become a vendor.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #14

I only have 2 handguns. I keep them in a safe that I bought off Ebay for pretty cheap- its a biometric safe, which means it reads your fingerprint to open. I think its listed at Ebay under something like 'Biometric Fingerprint Gun Pistol Safe' Anyway its pretty secure and I bolted it to the floor in my closet. Its not very big, but thats ok since I only have a few handguns to store. Also it will be harder for would-be thieves to find since it is smaller than most. I keep my rifles in a bigger safe, I have had it since 2000.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:35 AM   #15
Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

i bought two of the 28 gun Stack On total defense from Dicks sporting goods.

One houses accessories, ammo, and whatever. it is mounted along side of the other. The second houses the guns. it is against two concrete walls. I figure if someone actually had the know how and the time, they would be cussing by the time they got the first one opened. as there arent any good options at cutting into the gun safe.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?
Old 04-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #16

You should make sure which size of gun safe do you need. You had better choose the gun safe with the biomatric feaure if you wanna the quick opening speed. You can learn some great models here.