Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > gun safe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I hear ya keep the peace. But if someone thinks im a fool for buying new technology with out knowing any facts about goverment control. Im not gunna stay quiet.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezburger View Post
Umm dude if you are on the grid ie: cell phones, own fire arms, credit cards, face book, pay taxes, have obozo care( no choice in that matter) or on this forum. I hate to break it to you, they already are in control. I needed a safe that was compact for a few guns. The price was right, in a capitalist, i work and earn money, so i bought it.
It`s not about beeing in control of anybody, it`s about offering those who are against legal firearm ownership reasons and arguments for presenting their poison!

I also work for a living and have to save for everything I want to buy. I am also not the donkey, where you can pull his tail and he craps gold nugets.

But there is one thing I have learned in the last few years, where gun grabbers have been trying to eliminate legal gunownership and sportsshooting here in germany and that is not to buy stuff they can use against you as an argument.

We have already lost enough rights as it is.

Also I find it a bit strange, just as winds-of-change stated, that you buy a safe and then ask about opinions, instead of asking and then deciding what to buy.
It`s only normal, when you just purchased something, that you will argue for it and common sense normally is turned off at that time.
It`s the same as buying a new pistol and then asking if it is a good one!

Of course it`s your own busines, what type of gun safe you buy. In my opinion gun safes are a good thing, because they can keep the firearms out of reach of those, who shouldn`t get access to them.
But it is also my opinion, if you decide to buy a gun safe, you should do it right and get one, that will also offer the amount of security needed.

The biometric lock has, next the the insecuritry, on major issue and that is the emergency key lock using a round key.
Those locks can be opend, and I am not joking, we tried it at work, with a peace of card board or a pen. The turorial how to do it, can be found on youtube, like here:
The type lock in the electronic lock is the same as in a Kensington Notebook lock.

Having an emergency key lock allways leaves you with the question, where to put the two emergency keys.
Secure electronic lock, no matter if with a pin code or biometric have the possibility to place a bettery on the outside, incase the battery on the inside is empty, like this one:
http://www.m-locks.com/products/catalog/de2010?fp=22

I don`t mean to offend you, it os only my opinion, if you do it, do it right.

Here is a gun safe with the lowest protection permitted here in germany for rifles. Pistols are not allowed, unless there is a inside safe with the next higher protection.
http://www.waffenschrank24.de/Waffenschraenke/Sicherheitsstufe-A/Waffenschrank-Format-WF-103-fuer-3-Langwaffen.html

This one would allow rifles and up to five revolvers or pistols:
http://www.waffenschrank24.de/Waffenschraenke/Sicherheitsstufe-A-B/Waffenschrank-Format-WF-1500-5-B-fuer-5-Langwaffen---bis-zu-1-2-Kurzwaffen.html

Old 07-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Have you tried getting into it in a hurry? I mean just to see how it acts and all that? THe whole government thing really don't mean much to me. We all already prett ymuch leave a bigfoot print on the grid as it is so I don't see where that safe will make any real difference in the great scheme of things.

I personally don't like things like safes that have to rely on some type of power source but I also always keep a few things out so I would never need to get into it when time is of the essence. I'm not sure if you are in the same boat or not so that was why I asked about the time factor. A lot of people get things like what you have bought thinking it will be faster to access in a crisis situation. So I got a little curious.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Piece of total made-in-China junk. I ordered one and it came with painted-over rust blisters. The biometric scanner ceased functioning after a few days. In order to return it--I needed to safely crate it and pay out and back shipping--which equaled the cost of the safe itself. You can get the same degree of protection by buying a metal storge cabinet at Home Depot or wally world for around $50.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #15

I got such a great deal on it, i could not pass it up. It take 4 aa batts, i will put lithium in place off heavy duty. Not much is made here anymore. Except for my guns, ammo and earplugs.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #16

I ran a test at one point.

Just so you know what the rules here are.
Firearms and ammo have to kept seperately. So I have one safe for my pistols and one for the ammo. At the time of the test, it was a slightly different setup. I had one small safe with an electronic pin pad, where I kept the keys for the other two safes.

So, opening the small safe, taking out the keys for the other safes, opening them, taking out one pistol out of the one safe, taking out a box of ammo of the other safe, grabbing a mag from my range bag, loading five rounds into the mag and loading the gun took me about 45 seconds.
Of course this was not a stress situation, but I was surprised how quick it went. I would have thought, it would take far more then a minute.

At the moment my setup is one 115Kg safe with electronic pin lock, that has a external connector for emergency opening with a battery.
Inside is a .22 rifle and a seperate locked compartment, where I keep my ammo and the key for my pistol safe. The second safe weighs about 60Kg or 70Kg.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I bought a lil snap on box from bass pro its cheap about 100 bucks it works good keeping the kids out but wouldn't trust it to do more than that.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #18

Dont forget to keep your head lantern near by. Its one thing doing that in daylight another doing it in pitch black. Im just getting into this hobbie again. Im starting with basics and going from there.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #19

cheezburger,

I can understand, even if it dosn`t look or sound like it.
I would prefer not to have all this law crap and I don`t hope you guys will ever have the probs we have.

But one must also see the view from outside!
Specially in countries like germany or england, where we have pretty restrictive gun laws (britain has a total pistol and revolver ban since 1997), the grabbers always have a look over the pond to the situation in the US.

What would it look like, if millions of americans would buy biometric safes?
Yip, the grabbers would say: "Look, we said it all the time. Biometrics are accepted by gunowners in the US, so why not here in Europe?"

We just had a case a few weeks ago, where a kid (14 years old) manipulated the gun safe from his father, where he kept the key for his gun room and was able to get hold of a few pistols, that he took to school and nearly caused a school shooting. Luckily nothing happend!
But here the father also had a small safe, that was of lower quality.

It`s your thing, but if you still have the chance, cancel the order and get something descent.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #20

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Any safe is better than no safe. That said, I have only mechanical locks. There are no children in this house but on occasion, so the safe is not locked unless I leave, or I expect the grandkids to be here. Also, being on the ranch here, not all my arsenal is in the house. No matter where I go, there is a backup somewhere near, concealed, and handy.

The light cabinet safes need to be secured to the floor or wall, or inbetween the studs. My safe is more than 1000#, so I am not really worried about someone just picking it up and taking it. If they do, then the insurance kicks in.

For the most part, in this day and age, and with all the hackers on the net, I figure, that locks only stop honest people anyway.

This brings up another thought, which I shall post later.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.