Gun Safe...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Gun Safe...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun Safe...

Not sure where to post this so here it is. It's been a while since I've been on here but I've collected a few more guns since then. I keep most of them over my pops house due to the fact I have small babies running around (girls 7 n 5).

I only keep my 870 defense shotgun home and unloaded with shells next to it. I would like to be able to have all my guns home which is why I'm looking for a safe. I just can't figure out which one I want. I went to Bass Pro a month ago and they seemed to have a nice one I liked around 900 bucks. It came with the door slings for holstering hand guns and ammo pouches.

I've asked the wife for a gun safe for Xmas. What I'm looking for is @ least a 24 gun safe. I want something reliable and fits the price. I don't need a long fire rated time as I'm a firefighter and the station is two blocks away. My house is small so if the fire burns more then 30 minutes there isn't much house left.

I'm just looking for some pointers on the best safe for the buck. I would like to stay under 900 dollars. I am also not too keen on electronic safes but an emergency key would be nice.

Thanks in advance for your time...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have experience with making a bad decision with a safe. I thought I was being frugal and bought mine after shopping around from Sam's club. Good quality safe, but it has the electronic keypad. I didn't give any thought to things like EMP or CME, which are not likely, but entirely possible to cause the electronics to not work.

Keep in mind that just because a safe has so many slots for long guns it may not be able to hold that many if you have things like large scopes or bipods on them. I am constantly juggling mine around trying to keep them from getting banged by the next one.

I would suggest a manual locking mechanism, as large as you can afford. Don't sell the fire rating short when considering your purchase. Don't just think of it in terms of fire, it is really a heat protection rating. Some types of fires can smolder for a very long time and raise the temperature in the structure without flaming, but still cause considerable heat and soot damage.

We went on a structure call a few years ago where a large candle was left burning on a dining table when the occupant went to bed. Luckily she closed her bedroom door and it kept most of the IDLH stuff away from her and she was rescued. The rest of the house was a disaster. Melted plastics in the kitchen 25 feet away, very fine soot everywhere, discolored glass on exterior windows, it was a mess. A light fixture in the room of origin was melted at the ceiling as well. A good safe should protect from an exposure similar to this. Good luck.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 11-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Your Wife Probably Will Make You Keep It In The Garage

...but the prices ($569.99) on these safes at Costco are pretty good and they look pretty secure.

Costco - BIGHORN 19ECB Safe

Old 11-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

I would agree with the electronic part. I am looking at one from Tractor Supply for 699..

Old 11-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

My advice??

Go big or stay home. I bought one many years ago (not to lock guns away from kids but to keep them from those that would steal from me) It was more than big enough for my needs then as i only had 4 long guns and 1 pistol. Fast forward to today and even tho (as previously mentioned) i have "slots" for more guns, i dont have ANY room for more guns. So now I am in a position i will need to get another safe....this time it will be larger with a good fire rating.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #6

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Which ever one you decide, bolt it down!!!!!

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #7

Money isn't an issue. As I've stated size is. I have a small house and I just don't have the space for anything larger then a decent size closet. My basement is a low ceiling utility basement that used to have a dirt floor so Tjat option is out. Once I build the four car garage I will sell this one and upgrade or keep it and get another one. Then i will build a room around the new safe in the garage. That is atleast 6 months away and I need one now...

Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If it will only be six months before you remodel, why not just a gun cabinet/locker, like a Stack-On?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.