Gun belt discolors cartridges?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Gun belt discolors cartridges?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Default Gun belt discolors cartridges?

I purchased a new gun belt for cowboy shooting, brown leather. Cartridges were in belt for a couple weeks. When I went to use them this week end all the brass cartridges had green sludge on them. Never had this happen before. Anyone else ever had this problem? Something on the new belt re-acting to the brass? Any help would be welcome.

The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2013, 03:29 AM   #2

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Leather causes that green gunk(verdigris). It always has made brass turn green. That is why they made nickle-plated cases in 38 special.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 03:37 AM   #3

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomingreeneco View Post
I purchased a new gun belt for cowboy shooting, brown leather. Cartridges were in belt for a couple weeks. When I went to use them this week end all the brass cartridges had green sludge on them. Never had this happen before. Anyone else ever had this problem? Something on the new belt re-acting to the brass? Any help would be welcome.
Just new leather. It will stop in time, but you can try any leather cleaning compound if you care to...just some oils and chemicals in the belt from production that haven's leeched out yet. The problem is that the cartridges need to be keep clean and dry and the leather may not provide that for some time. Leather absorbs moisture, so even after the new leather cures it still we be subject to absorbing moisture in humid areas. I guess what I am saying is that don't put the shells in the belt until you are ready to use them...and take out whatever you don't use in a day or two. I suppose you can use some sacrificial brass to see when the belt is ready for lengthy brass storage.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

leather is highly water absorbant i never store ammo for any length of time once the match is done in my belt. leather tanning also involves salts and other stuff. dont store your guns or ammo in leather after the match.

the green is corosion, the equivelent to rust in steel.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #5

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Verdigris [Green of Greece] highly prized for green pigment in paintings. Can be created by exposing copper or brass to salt and plant acids. No it is not a rust. It is however very toxic. Wash your hands before ordering a "Big Mac".

Old 07-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #6

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I had the same happen. My grandfather gave me an old leather cartridge holder, with a bunch of assorted cartridges, way back when (pretty much began my cartridge collection). All of them had the green gunk on em.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #7

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

The gunk cleans off and you can still shoot the ammo.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #8

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That's a common problem. I have a similar issue with some of my knives with brass cross guards. If I store them in the leather sheath I end up with green oxidation on the brass. I think it's something to do with the chemicals used to tan the leather.

In any case, the only remedy is not to leave the cartridges in the belt. Put them in the day you are going to use it and take them out again that night.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 142 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 164

On the Police Department when we carried 38's we had the same problem with the dump pouches.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #10

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Thanks for info. Never had this problem before and I have been shooting for 42 years. It was a new belt that my son purchased for me so I will leave it to "age" awhile and not store the cartridges in it.

The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood.