Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Gun belt discolors cartridges? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/gun-belt-discolors-cartridges-94603/)

tomingreeneco 07-29-2013 03:11 AM

Gun belt discolors cartridges?

I purchased a new gun belt for cowboy shooting, brown leather. Cartridges were in belt for a couple weeks. When I went to use them this week end all the brass cartridges had green sludge on them. Never had this happen before. Anyone else ever had this problem? Something on the new belt re-acting to the brass? Any help would be welcome.

hiwall 07-29-2013 03:29 AM

Leather causes that green gunk(verdigris). It always has made brass turn green. That is why they made nickle-plated cases in 38 special.

Missouribound 07-29-2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomingreeneco (Post 1318722)
I purchased a new gun belt for cowboy shooting, brown leather. Cartridges were in belt for a couple weeks. When I went to use them this week end all the brass cartridges had green sludge on them. Never had this happen before. Anyone else ever had this problem? Something on the new belt re-acting to the brass? Any help would be welcome.

Just new leather. It will stop in time, but you can try any leather cleaning compound if you care to...just some oils and chemicals in the belt from production that haven's leeched out yet. The problem is that the cartridges need to be keep clean and dry and the leather may not provide that for some time. Leather absorbs moisture, so even after the new leather cures it still we be subject to absorbing moisture in humid areas. I guess what I am saying is that don't put the shells in the belt until you are ready to use them...and take out whatever you don't use in a day or two. I suppose you can use some sacrificial brass to see when the belt is ready for lengthy brass storage.

JonM 07-29-2013 03:46 AM

leather is highly water absorbant i never store ammo for any length of time once the match is done in my belt. leather tanning also involves salts and other stuff. dont store your guns or ammo in leather after the match.

the green is corosion, the equivelent to rust in steel.

nitestalker 07-29-2013 05:06 AM

Verdigris [Green of Greece] highly prized for green pigment in paintings. Can be created by exposing copper or brass to salt and plant acids. No it is not a rust. It is however very toxic. Wash your hands before ordering a "Big Mac". :eek:

Gizord1 07-29-2013 04:03 PM

I had the same happen. My grandfather gave me an old leather cartridge holder, with a bunch of assorted cartridges, way back when (pretty much began my cartridge collection). All of them had the green gunk on em.

hiwall 07-29-2013 11:20 PM

The gunk cleans off and you can still shoot the ammo.

mdauben 07-31-2013 01:14 PM

That's a common problem. I have a similar issue with some of my knives with brass cross guards. If I store them in the leather sheath I end up with green oxidation on the brass. I think it's something to do with the chemicals used to tan the leather.

In any case, the only remedy is not to leave the cartridges in the belt. Put them in the day you are going to use it and take them out again that night.

armsmaster270 07-31-2013 09:04 PM

On the Police Department when we carried 38's we had the same problem with the dump pouches.

tomingreeneco 08-01-2013 03:03 AM

Thanks for info. Never had this problem before and I have been shooting for 42 years. It was a new belt that my son purchased for me so I will leave it to "age" awhile and not store the cartridges in it.