Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > GREAT Scope for the $$

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 01:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default GREAT Scope for the $$

So, I was in the shop tonight and my 'Smith hands me a new scope he got in for a customer's rifle.

"Take a look through this and tell me what you think" He says, and hands me the scope with a rag over the knobs. This is a common practice so we don't get any grease or anything on the outside of the customer's gear that might be missed. The scope is pretty solid, this is obviously a quality piece of kit, otherwise why would he even bother?

I open the shop door and take a gander through one very clear set of optics. It's got a Mil-Dot reticle, which I prefer and Brett hates, but the glass is very clear and the image is clean and precise.

"Try adjusting the paralax and eye relief" He says. I do, and as expected it is very smooth, not clunky and not stiff, as I would expect from a higher end scope.

"Who do you think makes it?" He asks me, watching for my response.

"Leupold?" We install a ton of Leupold scopes, probably 3 to 1 over any other brand.

"No, guess again". We haven't had a Schmidt & Bender in awhile, but I know that isn't the case, I would have seen the box, they are very distinct. "Nightforce?". We don't get many, but I was grasping at the moment, I honestly didn't know. I was betting on Leupold based on fit and feel, not to mention the clarity.

"Bushnell - Their 4200 line" He says, before he adds "And it's only about $500 bucks" Seriously, I thought he was messing with me until I looked at the target knobs and saw he wasn't.

This is one nice scope folks, I am here to tell you. 6.5x24 by 40mm tube and the glass is SUPER clear. Leupold makes their scope bodies in Oregon, but they buy their glass from Japan. Bushnell ( Bausch & Lomb ) makes their glass in New York, and then ships it off to Japan to be installed in a forged 40mm tube that is given a one year warranty and a lifetime warranty against defects. Now, this isn't a Leupold scope, but it also isn't $1200 or $1400 dollars, a price that you would probably pay for a similar scope with the "L" on the side.

I am not saying this is the best scope out there, but what I am sharing is that I couldn't tell the difference by looking through the glass and feeling the weight. This is a very nice scope, and for the money, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better value unless you knew someone who got you a hook up on the price.

Bushnell 4200 Elite 6.5 x 24 Mil-Dot

If you are on a budget, and looking for a good piece of glass that has a good warranty and has been tested against magnum performance, give the Bushnell 4200 Elite a look. You might be surprised. I sure as hell was...

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well its like this............... everytime it gets cold and rainy during deer season we have more of these 4200 and also the 3200 scopes come back because they fog up internally then any other scope.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
well its like this............... everytime it gets cold and rainy during deer season we have more of these 4200 and also the 3200 scopes come back because they fog up internally then any other scope.
Well, we live in Washington State, and this gun should be going out the door within the month, so I guess we will see what happens. It will definitely be subjected to the elements. If that's the case, I guess it's a good thing they have a lifetime warranty against defects caused by manufacturing and an unconditional one year warranty on the front end. *shrug*

We will see what transpires...

JD

Old 07-06-2008, 02:21 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've had a cheap Bushnell Sportview 4 x 32 scope on an old Enfield for 15 years. That rifle has plenty of recoil to destroy poorly made scopes. I've hunted on days where the outside temp was below zero and taken the scope out of a 70 degree house into that weather. I've had it in the rain and snow. It has never fogged up. I also have several Simmons scopes that have been through the same crap and also never fogged. If you take care of your equipment, generally speaking, it will take care of you! If I was going on an Alaskan grizzly hunt or a $4000 western elk hunt I might want a Leupold, but for what I do and the care that I excercise with my guns and equipment, I would rather buy another AR-15... but then, I don't drive a Mercedes or a Snob9000 either....

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-06-2008 at 03:02 PM.