Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Good aa or aaa flashlights?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 170

I mean that I prefer us made stuff. I trust it more thats why my main survival knife is a buck 119 and my bag and chest rig are us made. Are there pressure switches for the flashlight you reccomended? I might get it to try it because it's so inexpensive .

Old 01-26-2013, 02:16 AM   #22

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
I mean that I prefer us made stuff. I trust it more thats why my main survival knife is a buck 119 and my bag and chest rig are us made. Are there pressure switches for the flashlight you reccomended? I might get it to try it because it's so inexpensive .
Sorry - I apparently had a bit too much caffeine yesterday - I re-read my previous post and it sounded more edged than I intended.

Unfortunately, almost all of the US made flashlights are $80 and up if you want full metal construction. However, Surefire does make a dual mode polymer bodied flashlight that is a pretty good deal if you get it through LAPoliceGear:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/sf-g2x-d-320-pro.html
^ that's about the best price you are going to get on a Surefire.

There are a couple lights that I didn't mention earlier that may be a decent solution -- I am not sure if they are made in the US or if there is a remote switch available for them but either LAPoliceGear or 5.11 tactical could answer both of those questions:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-atac-a1-flashlight.html
^about 100 lumens, runs on a single AA battery and the body diameter is right at 1" so it should fit most weapon mounts. $50

Dual AA battery version of the same - a bit brighter at 162 lumen:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-atac-a2-flashlight.html
^that could make a nice weapon light if there is a pressure switch for it.

As for pressure switches for the Solarforce - they make them but I'd by one from Lighthound. There are some issues with the pressure switches - some have spotty performance but most seem to work well. If you get a goofy one, Lighthound will test one to verify it works 100% and send it as a replacement:
http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforce-PTS2-Tape-Switch-with-tailcap-for-_p_2472.html
I have never had a problem with a Solarforce flashlight -- just the pressure switch. If I recall correctly, any pressure switch designed for a Surefire will work on the Solarforce light I posted.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #23

Liked 136 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Ok thanks a lot man. I'll check them out.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #24

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I have a strong love for flashlights, close to an obsession really. Most of your weapon lights will run off of the 123 type batteries.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add
the more distinguished character of Christian.” --George Washington

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

Old 01-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #25

Liked 993 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 343

Almost all the lights I have run on 18650 rechargeable batteries. Most of the lights I use regularly are as bright as a car headlight on dim and easily fit in my pocket. I walk my dog every night. With the flashlight run on it's highest setting they last about 3 one mile trips. I rotate the batteries. Rechargeable batteries are much like cell phone batteries they need to be used often to have a long life.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #26

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
Almost all the lights I have run on 18650 rechargeable batteries. Most of the lights I use regularly are as bright as a car headlight on dim and easily fit in my pocket. I walk my dog every night. With the flashlight run on it's highest setting they last about 3 one mile trips. I rotate the batteries. Rechargeable batteries are much like cell phone batteries they need to be used often to have a long life.
The 18650 is a great option. The only problem is the longevity of the batteries but you can always keep some CR123A batteries for backup.

Edit for clarification: when I said longevity, I meant the actual lifespan of the battery, not the runtime for each charge. A single 18650 has more power storage capacity that two CR123A batteries. However, the CR123a have an incredible 10 year shelf life.

Last edited by weapon; 01-28-2013 at 12:10 AM.