"Golden Rod" or other safe dessicant

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > "Golden Rod" or other safe dessicant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default "Golden Rod" or other safe dessicant

I bought something similar to a Golden Rod by Liberty Safe to keep the moisture down in my gun safe and replace the dessicant bag that needed to be recharged. Is anyone familiar with these? The reason I ask is the first day it seemed to warm up as it's supposed to but the last day it's been cold.

Are these supposed to stay warm of is there some type of sensor in them that turns them on and off?

Thanks for your help!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2009, 10:33 PM   #2

Liked 328 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 268

My golden rod is warm 24/7

No thermostat involved that I know of.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That's kinda what I thought it would do. Time to hit Cabela's and pick up a golden rod and take the liberty back to Gander.

If anyone know different please reply.

Thanks!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 12-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

What they do is heat the air to make it circulate. Mine is warm all the time that is how they work. Since I have installed mine there is ZERO rust on any firearm in my safe.

Sounds like it is broke. I would get the original get the golden rod. Can't be beat in my book.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Found the problem- cheap-ass electrical plug on it is one that you "pinch" on the power line after passing through the opening. Just for S-G, I tired a regular plug on it and it's working 24/7 now. What a lousy design!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry for the thread bump, but this is kinda relevant to my interests (or eventually anyway).

A fellow club member has been keeping his new Savage .22 @ the SSAA's range office-safe (as he doesn't have his own safe yet), which is in an old ramshackle wooden building, whose vintage I would guess to be about 1910 lol...

Trouble is, since the range is situated practically on the ocean, his bolt has got a bit rusted up in an amazingly short amount of time (he only gets to see his rifle once a week when we have legal access to the range to compete). He's a mechanic & has thought of using a buffer to get what rust he can off. But for further prevention? Can he use a simple dessicant like Damp-rid etc? I'm kinda wanting to know this too for when I eventually get a safe (which looks like possibly Oct-Nov this year)

Apologies for the potential dumbness of this question...I know so very little, heh

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D