Galco leather for sig p226
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Galco leather for sig p226

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 93 Times on 67 Posts

Default Galco leather for sig p226

Just bought one and it's super tight. Just wondering a few good ways to break it in. Besides putting it in and taking it out. If leather oils, what kind and how often and how should it be applied? Thanks for any info

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #2

Liked 285 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I dont know if its the same as my revolver, but the Galco instructions said to put it in a ziplock baggy and then put it in the holster. Let it sit for i believe 20min while twisting and turning my revolver inside of the holster. Also had to pull on the retaining clasp with it also. Mine is an adjustable phoenix holster, (pretty sure of the model) and my Gp100 fits like a glove now. Hope this helps.

forumrunner_20120810_035607.jpg  

Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #3

Hm, sounds like it could work. I will give it a shot after work today. Thanks

Old 08-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Galco, DeSantis and some other holster makers specifically say to NOT use any oils, softeners, saddle soap, etc on the leather ... it can relax the fit, making it too loose for proper retention.

The baggie method works OK, wearing it will also help to get the holster in form.

I had a new (not Galco) holster that was so tight I had to literally put a foot on each belt ear and pull to get it out (obviously "not ready for prime time").

After a couple days of working the gun in the holster (with and without a baggie), wearing it around the house, and just leaving the gun in the holster in the safe overnight loosened it up. Now it's just right; it's easy enough to draw but still has great retention.

I know it's hard to wait, but if you take the time to break it in right, you'll be much happier with it. That is one of the advantages of leather (over Kydex or similar); it forms to you and gets more comfortable over time.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #5

Great info. Apparently the girl at the lgs didn't know that. She was the one that suggested using oil.