friend needs help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > friend needs help

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default friend needs help

Hi. Thanks for reading this post.
I purchased some yellow kevlar fabric to help pad a few clothes for personal protection. The kevlar needs to have several layers and the layers should be tightly together (compressed) IE loose layers of kevlar are no good for absorbing blunt force trauma.
I was wondering how much i should compress the layers, perhaps place a heavy weight on it, or even roll a car over it. Does anyone know anything or have any experience of this.
I just need to know how much the kevlar layers need to be compressed
Thanks in advance. John.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8960 Times on 3879 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

John- I would not even ATTEMPT to offer you advice- since if it is in error, may result in a mortician's bill- Not only compressed, but HELD in a compressed state- how are you planning to do that? Kevlar must also be protected from moisture, which is why a vest has the vinyl type stuff over the kevlar. When a bullet hits wet kevlar, the mositure is turned to live steam, which shears the fabric.

This is REALLY not intended as a put-down of you, but sometimes the best advice you can give someone is- "Don't."

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #3

Default friend needs help

Hi. Many thanks for the info. Sorry, i typed the message in yesterday with one too many christmas drinks in my system. Apologies for that.

What i meant to say is that the hard-type of kevlar which is not layers of fabric but one solid piece is generally regarded as being capable of being used to absorb the trauma of rifle fire, whereas the fabric type of kevlar is more associated with small arms fire, i know we may not all agree on this but it is a general concensus. What i am trying to ask is that if the fabric type of kevlar is compressed before being inserted into the pouch of a jacket this should be a good idea, how much can it be compressed?

Thanks for listening. Sorry for the previous confusion.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #4

i agree completely with c3 shooter ,i entertained the idea for a nanosecond of making my own vest or jacket and decided that its best left to an expert,ie. those companies that do it for a living the money saved is not worth my life.even if good body armor cost 5,000 dollars which it does not my life is worth more

Old 01-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Closed Thread