Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Foaming Barrel Cleaners?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Default Foaming Barrel Cleaners?

I recently saw a advertisment on the Versus Channel for a barrel cleaner that foams up, rendering no need to brush out the barrel! Of course the comercial talked up the product (which I dont remember the name of) as a break threw in the gun cleaning industry. Iv found several diffrent brands of these types of cleaners with varying prices. I was hoping to hear from some memebers of the forum on if this product is as good as they advertise and if its worth the large price tag that comes with it. Any input is appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I have only used the foaming stuff on my muzzleloader. It gets very dirty with Pyrodex residue.

Since it is easy to clean the cased bullet shooters, I don't skimp on time or ease there. I would not trust the foamers to get my semi's as clean as I like them. That is all. Just my opinion, for one.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have used this on my .30-06 hunting rifle. I tried it as it was a new product (at least new to me). The foam turns blue in the barrel after the "soak" time, indicating (according to the instructions) that residual copper is being chemically cleaned up. Repeat cleanings with the foam may be necessary.

I do believe that the product did remove some copper fouling that conventional light cleaning with a brush and solvent/patches did not remove. Harder work with brushes/patches probably would have done the same job.

Note that cleaning with bronze bore brushes will leave trace copper in the barrel, and so your foam may turn blue even with a completely clean bore!

TXnorton

Old 08-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have used a couple of varieties including Outers and they work, however I still used a brush. The reason they say not to use a brush is becvause the cleaner will attack the brush like it attacks the jacket material left in the bore. A better alternative which works just as good if not better, is Sweets 7.62 Solvent. They claim no brushing is needed either - just run a soaked patch through the bore continuously for 1 minute then a dry one, and repeat as needed. The patches come out very blue! I then follow-up with a standard non-copper removing solvent to deactivate the ammonia prior to running an oiled patch.The main ingredient in all of these copper removing cleaners is ammonia. I still use a brush no matter what I use.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #5

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Great! Thanks a lot guys. With all that in mind I think I will be trying some out next pay day

Old 08-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've tried one, can't remember the brand but I was not at all impressed. It left a residue that was EXTREMLY hard to get off, so rather then making things easier it made it harder. Needless to say I'm not a fan, I'll stick to solvents and a bruch. RL mentioned some good solvents.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I like the birchwood casey foaming bore cleaner. I use it and a jag to clean my 308. No brush ever goes in that barrel. No brush on the 22lr either. All others I use the foaming cleaner then push it out with a patch and jag. Then brush it with hoppes #9 coper solvent. Then I go back and patch and jag it again to get everything out. Light coat of oil and put it away.