flashlight recommendation
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > flashlight recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default flashlight recommendation

I picked this light up at Walmart the other day as an impulse buy:

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

It's an LED light made by Coleman. It uses 3 AAA batteries for a 17 hour run time. It's got a crenelated bezel and a body that prevents rolling. The switch is located on the tail cap.

When I bought it, it was an inexpensive replacement for my pistol light that get terrible battery life out of a pair of CR123A batteries. I need something that I can take to work and replace the batteries cheaply and easily, that gets more than an hour of battery life.

I've been playing with this light for about a week now and my only complaints are that the switch is either on or off, there is no intermittent on feature. Also it is made in China.

I only paid $17 and change for it though and it does carry a 5 year warranty. It's light weight, fits my hand almost perfectly and is bright enough for me to clear my house, work on my car, or find lost screws on the garage floor. It does have a tail cap switch and crenelated bezel, which are near impossible to find in the price range. The beam is well centered and well aimed. Since I bought it, I've played with it for close to 20 hours before I noticed a decrease in light output. The packaging claimed 17 hour run time at 80 lumen output and it has surpassed that.

I've long since tossed the packaging and the light doesn't have a model number on it. I've also looked around the internet and haven't been able to find it. It would make an excellent, inexpensive house clearing light for the non-professional, or a nice cheap light to toss in the truck glove compartment. If you can stomach a trip to Walmart and swallow the fact that you're buying Chinese made goods, it's an excellent buy.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Last edited by matt g; 01-29-2009 at 05:54 AM.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Matt G - That's a pretty sweet find. It looks a lot like the high dollar "tactical" flashlights advertised in the gun magazines. I like the compact size, too.

I got a nifty minimag LED light for Christmas. I like it a lot, but it is activated by twisting the head of the light rather than pushing an on/off button. That takes two hands and isn't too tacti-cool. On the plus side, the minimag light LED is bright as all get out and takes three AA batteries. Survivalists will like that you can also use it as a candle.

Here is a detailed review with pictures:
Flashlight Review: Mini Maglite LED - Associated Content

Old 02-05-2009, 03:27 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
Matt G - That's a pretty sweet find. It looks a lot like the high dollar "tactical" flashlights advertised in the gun magazines. I like the compact size, too.

I got a nifty minimag LED light for Christmas. I like it a lot, but it is activated by twisting the head of the light rather than pushing an on/off button. That takes two hands and isn't too tacti-cool. On the plus side, the minimag light LED is bright as all get out and takes three AA batteries. Survivalists will like that you can also use it as a candle.

Here is a detailed review with pictures:
Flashlight Review: Mini Maglite LED - Associated Content
There is a push button on/off switch for the Mini Maglite. I have it on one with an LED upgrade in my safe. It gets used a lot.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #5

Any idea what the lumen rating is? The E2DL is about 120 lumens on the bright setting.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern6er View Post
Any idea what the lumen rating is? The E2DL is about 120 lumens on the bright setting.
80 lumen .

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Since I bought it, I've played with it for close to 20 hours before I noticed a decrease in light output. The packaging claimed 17 hour run time at 80 lumen output and it has surpassed that.

Roger Waters

Old 05-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

OMG is that really a P4 box on your desk? Boy that puppy is old as dirt.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
OMG is that really a P4 box on your desk? Boy that puppy is old as dirt.
Yup. I'm still running a 4x AGP graphics card even.

Roger Waters