Flash suppressors vs. sound suppressors
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Flash suppressors vs. sound suppressors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Flash suppressors vs. sound suppressors

Okay, so i've been informed by a couple of you that sound suppressors add a bit of reduced recoil to firearms, and also know that they give moderate reduction of muzzle flashes. i'm already aware of flash suppressors' slight increase in accuracy to numerous weapons (assault rifles/carbines in particular).. But what i want to know is what would be the overall best to pick from? i know everything has its purpose, but it seems that silencers are great for cqc whereas flash suppressors would be optimal for longer distances? If it makes a difference i'd also like to know for similar scenarios between mid-range carbine/assault rifles (ie: ar-15/m-16/ak-47) vs long range (sniper) rifles (ie: CheyTak M200/ H&K PSG-1/ M40A3). i'm not looking for circumstances for each weapon, just giving an idea of what kind of ranged weapons i'm talking about.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #2

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

As you seem to be thinking, it really has a lot to do with the application.

I think if I could pick just one, and apply it to all my guns, I'd take a sound suppressor. I haven't taken a shot greater than 100 yards in a while, and earplugs are uncomfortable. So a suppressor would just serve me better, on my rifles and my pistol.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #3

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Yeah, if they weren't $500 each, thanks to regulations.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 02-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #4

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Well know this, each suppressor will require a $200 Fed Tax Stamp requiring tons of traceable gub-er-mint paper work. (NFA requirements)

Depending on what state you live in you may be able to mail-order any flash hider you want.

If its going on an AR you should look at the Smith Enterprise Vortex Flash Eliminator or the BattleComp 2.0 SVC.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Flash suppressors are a dime a dozen and can be purchased over the Internet, but a silencer will cost $200 and 4 months just to get the tax stamp to purchase one. You also have to live in a state where they are legal to own. There are many more manufacturers now, so prices are a bit lower. If you want to suppress a handgun up to a .45, you are looking at about $1000. If you want to suppress a .223 or 5.56, or a .308 or 7.62, you can almost triple that. The noise reduction isn't like in the movies and it's a ton of paperwork just to get started. By the way, NEVER ATTEMPT TO BUILD YOUR OWN SILENCER UNLESS YOU WANT TO DO 10 YEARS IN A FEDERAL PEN!

Old 02-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, i'm well aware of federal regs and taxes up the.. well, you know. But yeah, i was actually thinking of attaching to a custom AR type build, as of right now i'm just trying to find what i can so i have a better idea of exactly what i want. The rifle comparison was more of to better educate myself versus the assault rifle was actually knowledge i plan to apply.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E
Flash suppressors are a dime a dozen and can be purchased over the Internet, but a silencer will cost $200 and 4 months just to get the tax stamp to purchase one. You also have to live in a state where they are legal to own. There are many more manufacturers now, so prices are a bit lower. If you want to suppress a handgun up to a .45, you are looking at about $1000. If you want to suppress a .223 or 5.56, or a .308 or 7.62, you can almost triple that. The noise reduction isn't like in the movies and it's a ton of paperwork just to get started. By the way, NEVER ATTEMPT TO BUILD YOUR OWN SILENCER UNLESS YOU WANT TO DO 10 YEARS IN A FEDERAL PEN!
Wow, i didn't know that last part! i was aware of the rest (prices had a vague idea), but federal offense to make a silencer? i hadn't even thought of that! And to think a few years ago a friend of mine had made his own silencer in a highschool metalshop class!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, they are considered Class 3 equipment just like machine guns. They are legal to own in some states, but that is why you have to do all the paperwork and background checks. The application even has to be signed by the Chief Law Enforcement Officer or CLEO of the County you live in. When you do get all the paperwork back you have to have it with the weapon or silencer at all times. Play safe!

Old 02-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

But alas, we are getting off of the topic! Which would you consider to be more optimal for both combat readiness and applicability? And what about cqc (close quarters) versus a fair distance (say, 95-115 yards)?

Old 02-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #10

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondhand_Hero
But alas, we are getting off of the topic! Which would you consider to be more optimal for both combat readiness and applicability? And what about cqc (close quarters) versus a fair distance (say, 95-115 yards)?
In both of those situations, I'd rather have a suppressor. That's just my opinion.