Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Electronic Muffs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Electronic Muffs?

I've been seriously thinking about buying a pair of electronic ear muffs. I shoot alot -- 45 (ACP and Colt) pistol mostly. When I am not on my own range, I shoot IDPA with a local club. So far, I have used the common foam plugs under a set of mediocre ear muffs. This does the job but it can get uncomfortable after a while. I am interested in feedback from members that have experience with the electronic hearing protection -- does it work as well as the non-electronic muffs at noise reduction? If they are worth the extra price, what brands and models have the best performance and reputation?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I like them better. They seem to suppress the shot better and you can talk normally. Why they appear to suppress noise better is beyond me. Probably just me but I prefer them over the standard fair but not as well as custom made ear plugs. Look at the thread 'best option for ear protection' as well.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Last edited by hogrider; 04-05-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Pointer to Best option for ear protection

Old 04-06-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

I have a couple of cheap sets from Sportmans Guide,I think I paid $20 each pair.They work great,I have had them for several years.
They amplify everything,but shut off when any loud sounds or shots are sensed.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:10 AM   #4

I have used the $20 Caldwell® E-Max Electronic Earmuffs, Low-Profile from a friend while shooting and liked them over my non-electric pair. I just ordered a couple of pairs.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:12 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have some, but I keep forgetting to turn them off, so batteries were driving me bankrupt.

I'm using some moldable ones now and I like them pretty well so far.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-06-2011, 04:28 AM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Sorry...wrong muff confusion.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Jack this was not a fleshlight thread, sorry.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I use them all the time, and have extra sets of electronic muffs for students to wear in class. Makes it much easier to teach when students don't have to remove, and replace muffs all the time.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 04-07-2011, 06:18 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've got a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport. They are easy to fold up and suppress very well. I shoot a lot of 308 Win, 45 ACP and 7.62x39 and of course 22lr. I'm still on the origianl batteries even after weekly range visits for several months. Its much more comfortable not to have to take earmuffs off to communticate.
I'm thinking of trying a pair of the electronic ear plugs since earmuffs get in the way when shouldering some rifles.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.