Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Egregious Price Gouging Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #31
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

I'm wondering what I could get for my Plum Crazy lower. I've got all the parts for a conventional lower now. I won't really need it.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #32
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5120 Times on 2666 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I'm wondering what I could get for my Plum Crazy lower. I've got all the parts for a conventional lower now. I won't really need it.
now is the time to sell lower quality stuff if your gonna do it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 12-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #33

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

My roommate came home with a new Windham today when he got off work. Got it for 800 or something after his discount. He then had me put it on armslist for 1300. There's been 3 offers so far, it's been 2 hours

Old 12-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #34

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

I bought most of my collection during the Bush years...

Could easily triple my investment today...If not for that damn boating accident!

Tack

Old 12-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #35

Liked 1916 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 410

Haven't seen any gouging locally, but did notice that one of the large local sporting good stores that had large quanities of .223/5.56 ammo at good prices is out of any of the "plinking stuff". Saw a few guys looking for some .223. I told tehm the only stuff that I saw that they had left was Winchester Silver Tip hunting rounds for over $20 per box. Same price it had been listed for before election or shooting. Their shoulders drooped, as they realized they were too late for anything resembling "affoardable" plinking ammo for their black rifles.

They did still have 7.62x39 ammo for $5.75 per box, and .30-30 ammo was still out there for less than $20 per box.

Someone once told me that they had never seen a situation where .30-30 ammo was more afoardable than .223. Well this is one of those situations where the ammo that is available causes just such a situation.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #36

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319180134/magpul-pmag-m2-moe-magazine-ar-15-223-remington-30-round?cm_vc=OBv1918412

I don't need them but it appears that midway has pmags for 12.50 each.

NEVER FORGET

Old 12-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 738 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatthew View Post
I remember several years ago when a hurricane was looming off the Caribbean coast, headed for South Carolina. Grocery stores were getting busted for price gouging on bottled water, propane, canned goods, etc. It was ridiculous. There were small privately owned gas stations and stores that were charging 5 and 10 dollars for a gallon of water... Multi-packs of batteries were going for roughly $5 per battery. I can't remember exactly what happened but I know someone stepped in and put a stop to it.

This is a little different, I think, but there is a clear difference between a free market and taking advantage of people. But... if you limit it, then you lose your free market. It's kind of a catch-22. The only thing you can do is shop smart and hope for the best. Refuse to pay the outrageous prices you see and either learn to do without or be patient until you can find what you need at a reasonable price point.
And there where it's wrong.

Think about it from a different angle.

Price has increased way over prior prevailing market. Two things happen, people stop "over" buying (aka stocking up), and enterprising souls will find a way to satisfy market needs. $10 for a gallon of water, I can guarantee truckloads would appear the very next day for $8. Two days later, you'd have hundreds of truck loads at $4. Make it non profitable then the market won't correct itself.

Look at the gas situation in NJ. Enterprising stations that had on site generators and ensured fuel, were being told they had to sell the fuel at a loss. They had set themselves up to succeed and help people, but told only at some made up profit (or loss) margin. Where is the incentive for anybody to spend money on a generator, if they can't recover their expenses? Cheaper to close up shop until normalcy returns.

Simple supply and demand economics.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #38

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
My roommate came home with a new Windham today when he got off work. Got it for 800 or something after his discount. He then had me put it on armslist for 1300. There's been 3 offers so far, it's been 2 hours
I'm pretty sure that might be illegal...

On the subject...
I saw a completed auction for a WASR 10, $1400.
I haven't seen this affect SKS's very much. Been a bit of a bump in the prices, but not too much. I've seen some russkies stay the same, and other makes rise about $100. Too bad it shoots the same round as the AK... can't find ammo...
Old 12-25-2012, 01:43 AM   #39

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
Especially if he works for an FFL. he might get a knock on his door soon. Interwebs isn't anonymous. ..

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-25-2012, 02:53 AM   #40

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
And there where it's wrong.

Think about it from a different angle.

Price has increased way over prior prevailing market. Two things happen, people stop "over" buying (aka stocking up), and enterprising souls will find a way to satisfy market needs. $10 for a gallon of water, I can guarantee truckloads would appear the very next day for $8. Two days later, you'd have hundreds of truck loads at $4. Make it non profitable then the market won't correct itself.

Look at the gas situation in NJ. Enterprising stations that had on site generators and ensured fuel, were being told they had to sell the fuel at a loss. They had set themselves up to succeed and help people, but told only at some made up profit (or loss) margin. Where is the incentive for anybody to spend money on a generator, if they can't recover their expenses? Cheaper to close up shop until normalcy returns.

Simple supply and demand economics.
I definitely agree... I seem to remember the problem being that people needed these things to survive. Making clean water and food out of reach for people to afford could literally cost them their lives.

But then again, the people that were smart enough to prep were on the leading edge and I'm sure the ones that weren't, learned an extremely valuable lesson.

Leave the market alone. Don't buy these exorbitantly-priced items and let the market come crashing down. All these idiots with hundreds of PMAGS at $60 each will soon be selling them for $12 a piece again.
Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"
AWDeanSr Likes This