Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Ear protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ear protection

After years of working in a factory, (20's and 30's) my ears have become really sensitive. I've been to the range twice with a cheap pair of ear protection from Walmart. The low caliber firearms didn't bother me much but when they shot the M-1, Nagant and even the AK, my ears were slightly uncomfortable. Being new to the firearms world, are there products (protection) that reduce noise more than others? I'm on a shoestring budget these days but also not ready to compromise my hearing for that matter. Any input on affordable, high noise reducing ear protection will be much appreciated. Would like to get something before my next range visit which should be in a few weeks.

- quick question I forgot to ask:
Would using foam ear plugs in addition to the ear muffs be a cheap alternative? Am I gaining any more reduction "cheaping out" like that?

Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #2

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Answer...yes, it helps tremendously. Working in the drilling and blasting field for the last 12 years, and a steel fab plant before that for 5, I can say without a doubt a pair of the yellow foamies and some over the ear muffs offer the most protection. I've had the best luck with the cylindrical foamies, not the conical, they don't fit me right and they never stay put. They are reusable too, just stick them in your pocket, or a sock and run them through the wash. The foamies are cheap enough to last a long time but do get a decent pair of muffs, once your hearing is damaged, it ain't coming back.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 02-20-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I would say on a budget you can put in the foam ear plugs and then on top of those put on a set of Mickey mouse ears.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The cheap foam squishy kind you stuff on your ears is all I use. We shoot alot of big rifles with muzzle breaks and handguns.

I have some hearing loss in my right ear, so I know we're your coming from. I start to get headaches after any shooting without ear protection. Even shotguns. I can shoot all day with just the foam ones.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 02-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #5

Anyone have feedback on the Howard Leight brand that YouTube seems to want me to know about?

Old 02-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19832 Times on 11259 Posts
Likes Given: 49979

i have some firearms that i shoot with the over the head type and some i shoot with the small round foam type. any hearing protection is better than nothing. many years ago, i shot without anything, but years later i have paid the price, as a lot of times i can hear people talking to me, but is hard to understand the words. so now i use some type of hearing protection when shooting any firearm.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
i have some firearms that i shoot with the over the head type and some i shoot with the small round foam type. any hearing protection is better than nothing. many years ago, i shot without anything, but years later i have paid the price, as a lot of times i can hear people talking to me, but is hard to understand the words. so now i use some type of hearing protection when shooting any firearm.
I worked in a closed (no windows) printing plant with loud machinery running all day for 13 years. Sadly I only used ear plugs toward the latter part of that career. Every now and again it can be a struggle to hear things.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19832 Times on 11259 Posts
Likes Given: 49979

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_gen View Post
I worked in a closed (no windows) printing plant with loud machinery running all day for 13 years. Sadly I only used ear plugs toward the latter part of that career. Every now and again it can be a struggle to hear things.
i know what you mean! i have been working around large trucks and heavy equipment for over 25 years and it also has taken a toll on my hearing. i use hearing protection now, to preserve what i have left and hoping it doesn't get much worse.