Ear and eye protection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Ear and eye protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ear and eye protection

Hi guys,

I am buying my first set of ear and eye protection to use at the range. Would do you guys use for eye protection, if I can't see well without my glasses on? And are there big difference between the 20 dollar ear protection, or the 100 dollars one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #2

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have polycarbonite lenses in my glasses which are sufficient for eye protection. And yes a $20 set of Silencio muffs works as well as any other standard, non-electronic set. If you are going to get the electronic ones, then the more expensive ones may well be a little lighter weight or have more sound channels.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I highly recommend something in the ESS ICE lineup. You get two glasses (one clear, one sunglasses) and you can order a prescription insert that you just pop in behind the glasses, the cool part is that the inserts are removable so say you manage to get LASIK or PRK done or get contacts you can just pull out the inserts and still be good to go.

It looks a little bit unusual the first couple times you see the clear glasses with the inserts, you do get kinda use to it though. I trusted my eyes to those glasses in Afghanistan and nearly every time I go to a range now.

As far as ear pro, I've found for most (most not all) the yellow foamies if properly inserted and what not do an outstanding job.

In the interest of full disclosure though I do also own a few pairs of the ear muffs and I'll throw those on over the yellow foamies if I'm gonna be shooting a while though.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 12-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5648 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

i use these from gander mountain:

my glasses are prescription shooting glasses with interchangeable lenses. i have a set for shotgun that are red. yellow for rifle, and another yellow set for pistol that are ground with two different focal planes top half focuses long rang bottom half focus the sights.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I got my ear protection at the ear doctor. Kind of looks like these. They are pretty cool, they have different levels of protection that you can put in them. So I wear different ones when I'm playing with the band or shooting.

ears.jpg  

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Don't forget the baseball cap when shooting anything semi-auto. One of our supporting members had a hot casing get caught between his glasses & his eyeball, resting on the eyeball, not good.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7091 Times on 4268 Posts
Likes Given: 8599

I don't wear glasses so I just bought some polycarbonate glasses from the gun shop. For my ears, I wear foam plugs with muffs over it.

My friend who wears glasses bought some different kind of glasses that fit over his prescription glasses...something like this...

Ambient ™ - Lightweight Over-the-glass Eyewear - GEMPLER'S

Old 12-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

FWIW, several of the companies that make industrial safety glasses make ones that fit OVER your regular glasses. Do a google search for OTS safety glasses (stands for "over the specs") I do not need corrective lenses (yet) and wear amber colored polycarbonate shooting glasses. For those with guest shooters, youngsters, or just on a tight budget, Harbor Freight carries a dang near disposable yellow lens safety classes. I wear EAR foam plugs under muffs.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #9

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I use these Caldwell E-MAX Hearing Protection Muffs and they work great. Low profile or foam is a plus because when you shoot a rifle big hearing protection can get in the way.

In the guard they have us wear both foamies and over the ear protection for shooting and around loud noises on the flight line. Maybe it's overkill, maybe it's not but I still have good hearing after years of being on the flight line around loud jets.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #10

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I just use a set of no-name polycarbonate glasses for range work. I used to use a pair of yellow foam ear plugs, but recently bought a set of these... I didn't believe the hype about their effectiveness when I first saw them but after doing some research I shelled out and bought them. They are great! You can hear normal conversation quite well, but louder noises and damaging frequencies are filtered out. No batteries, no bulkiness and comfortable

Last edited by AusLach; 12-10-2010 at 10:46 PM.