Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Ear and eye protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/ear-eye-protection-35424/)

LeeMD 12-10-2010 03:28 PM

Ear and eye protection

Hi guys,

I am buying my first set of ear and eye protection to use at the range. Would do you guys use for eye protection, if I can't see well without my glasses on? And are there big difference between the 20 dollar ear protection, or the 100 dollars one?

steve666 12-10-2010 04:24 PM

I have polycarbonite lenses in my glasses which are sufficient for eye protection. And yes a $20 set of Silencio muffs works as well as any other standard, non-electronic set. If you are going to get the electronic ones, then the more expensive ones may well be a little lighter weight or have more sound channels.

Ubergopher 12-10-2010 04:31 PM

I highly recommend something in the ESS ICE lineup. You get two glasses (one clear, one sunglasses) and you can order a prescription insert that you just pop in behind the glasses, the cool part is that the inserts are removable so say you manage to get LASIK or PRK done or get contacts you can just pull out the inserts and still be good to go.

It looks a little bit unusual the first couple times you see the clear glasses with the inserts, you do get kinda use to it though. I trusted my eyes to those glasses in Afghanistan and nearly every time I go to a range now.

As far as ear pro, I've found for most (most not all) the yellow foamies if properly inserted and what not do an outstanding job.

In the interest of full disclosure though I do also own a few pairs of the ear muffs and I'll throw those on over the yellow foamies if I'm gonna be shooting a while though.

JonM 12-10-2010 06:56 PM

i use these from gander mountain:

http://images.gandermountain.com/pro.../415395_M1.jpg

my glasses are prescription shooting glasses with interchangeable lenses. i have a set for shotgun that are red. yellow for rifle, and another yellow set for pistol that are ground with two different focal planes top half focuses long rang bottom half focus the sights.

amoroque 12-10-2010 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my ear protection at the ear doctor. Kind of looks like these. They are pretty cool, they have different levels of protection that you can put in them. So I wear different ones when I'm playing with the band or shooting.

orangello 12-10-2010 07:16 PM

Don't forget the baseball cap when shooting anything semi-auto. One of our supporting members had a hot casing get caught between his glasses & his eyeball, resting on the eyeball, not good.

winds-of-change 12-10-2010 07:57 PM

I don't wear glasses so I just bought some polycarbonate glasses from the gun shop. For my ears, I wear foam plugs with muffs over it.

My friend who wears glasses bought some different kind of glasses that fit over his prescription glasses...something like this...

Ambient - Lightweight Over-the-glass Eyewear - GEMPLER'S

c3shooter 12-10-2010 08:43 PM

FWIW, several of the companies that make industrial safety glasses make ones that fit OVER your regular glasses. Do a google search for OTS safety glasses (stands for "over the specs") I do not need corrective lenses (yet) and wear amber colored polycarbonate shooting glasses. For those with guest shooters, youngsters, or just on a tight budget, Harbor Freight carries a dang near disposable yellow lens safety classes. I wear EAR foam plugs under muffs.

Yunus 12-10-2010 09:40 PM

I use these Caldwell E-MAX Hearing Protection Muffs and they work great. Low profile or foam is a plus because when you shoot a rifle big hearing protection can get in the way.

In the guard they have us wear both foamies and over the ear protection for shooting and around loud noises on the flight line. Maybe it's overkill, maybe it's not but I still have good hearing after years of being on the flight line around loud jets.

AusLach 12-10-2010 09:57 PM

I just use a set of no-name polycarbonate glasses for range work. I used to use a pair of yellow foam ear plugs, but recently bought a set of these... I didn't believe the hype about their effectiveness when I first saw them but after doing some research I shelled out and bought them. They are great! You can hear normal conversation quite well, but louder noises and damaging frequencies are filtered out. No batteries, no bulkiness and comfortable :cool: