Do you use a gun safe? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Do you use a gun safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When the kids grow up, we intend to build our dream retirement home. I intend to include a hidden room to store all safes, valuables, and SHTF supplies. They won't even be able to find the gun safes.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #82

I was trying to figure out what to do with an old refridgerator that had been in the basement for the last 30 or so years so I gutted it and made it my gun locker,it has a locking pin that is operated by a hidden cable that deadbolts the door the fridge is in my basement in a room with two key locks on it.
I am finishing it with pine I got from work for free but I still have to trim it out.

fridge-pics-001.jpg   fridge-pics-003.jpg   fridge-pics-002.jpg   fridge-pics-005.jpg  

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #83

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Gun safes are highly regulated here by strict licensing. A police officer must check your storage before you apply for a 'permit to accquire' any firearm, and may also turn up unannounced any time to check your safe storage arrangements.

If under 150kg in weight empty, the safe must be bolted to the dwelling foundations with 65mm tapped screws or masonry bolts, and the safe itself must have a 3-point locking mechanism, with 6mm-thick hardened steel for handgun safes, 3mm for longarms.

It is illegal to leave any firearm unlocked, except when cleaning it directly on return from the range. Other than that, it must be locked away at all times.

So, you're looking at 500 bucks minimum before you even think about gun purchase!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #84

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

They are a good idea if you have more than 3 or 4 guns and no safe place to keep them. I personally can't afford a safe or the amount of firearms needed to fill one but I imagine they are a good investment.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:49 AM   #85

Liked 88 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Kids are all grown!!!! Most of mine are kept in a fortified room (my den). The window is barred, the entry door is fortified and uses a heavy duty BEST key lock and a S&G safe lock. The walk-in ammo closet uses the same system. There are safes in my workshop for work in progress and parts.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #86

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

With some 12 center fire rifles, most are scoped, 5 rimfire rifles, 6 shotguns, 8 handguns, some are valuable, an $800 dollar safe (in '87), deeply lag screwed in four places into two wall studs inside a tight closet was the only intelligent option.

Last edited by 1hole; 06-22-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:16 AM   #87

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Flyingbrickracing - I like you fridge/safe idea. Don't forget to leave the light enabled when you open the door. I know you used pine, but wouldn't cedar be better. It's bug proof and smells purdy. Cool idea, and it's a safe hidden in the open. Another idea is to put a pistol safe inside the top freezer section.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:49 AM   #88

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts

store mine in my attic I dont want people to know I have guns in the house!I keep a cheap mossberg pump shotgun downstairs for self defense.Its a lot of trouble sometimes getting my guns out of my attic and putting them back but I had a friend that went through a home invasion and the thugs tortured him until he opened his gunsafe and gave up his guns! if someone stole my cheap shotgun its not that big of a deal and easy to replace! One day I would like to build a secret closet downstairs now that would be cool.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #89

Liked 88 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I always thought Austrailia would be a great place to live, great hunting, great sights, great people and a lot of space in the outback with no one to bother you. But, they wouldn't let me take my guns !!!!!!!

Old 06-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #90
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't currently have a safe but the wife and I have talked about it. It's just the two of us so I'm not worried about anyone getting hurt, theft would be the only concern but they stay locked in a small room. When kids come around a safe will be a must, fireproof so we can store documents in there as well.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer