Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Do you use a gun safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Another reason

I use several gun safes. Not because I have a ton of guns but because of other valuables I want to keep safe. I have a cue collection too. Not to mention important papers etc. By having several different safes in different locations in the house you minimize the chances of a fire or burgular getting all your property. I also added steel plates to some doors for security. Looks normal wood on the outside but bulletproof and break-in proof on the inside.
If you dont have a fireproof safe or lock box make sure to add several layers of drywall all around that closet or area to reduce the chances of fire damage. Thats just one novices advice.

Handgun of Choice-Sig X5 Competition
Rifle of Choice- FS2000

http://cueandcushion.com

Old 08-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudd357mag View Post
I use several gun safes. Not because I have a ton of guns but because of other valuables I want to keep safe. I have a cue collection too. Not to mention important papers etc. By having several different safes in different locations in the house you minimize the chances of a fire or burgular getting all your property. I also added steel plates to some doors for security. Looks normal wood on the outside but bulletproof and break-in proof on the inside.

If you dont have a fireproof safe or lock box make sure to add several layers of drywall all around that closet or area to reduce the chances of fire damage. Thats just one novices advice.
Actually, that is very good advice! (Don't forget to reinforce the hinges and striker, too.)

Old 08-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #43

I have a Liberty 25 gun with 90min. fire rating and 775# empty in the living room bolted to the floor. The wife hates the way it looks
Imagine an 1880 restored mill house full of old antique stuff, and in the corner there's this big 'ol pewter gray safe! She tries to hide it with plants and stuff However, once I explained to her that part of our resposibility as gun owners is to keep our guns out of the BG's hands. (we don't have kids) she was more accepting. I also keep our most important paperwork in there too, like all the info for all my guns(serial #'s, date of purchase, purchase price, etc.) and our wills old tax returns.
Keep in mind that if it can be hauled in it can be taken out. It only took three of us and a hand truck to bring it in. If not bolted down, a group of scumbags could drag it right back out full or not.
The only thing not in there is my SIG GSR which is always with me, and my Mossberg 500 Tactical which leans in the corner of my room, with the forend pulled back, ready to chamber a round. When I pick it up by the forend it racks the round and it's ready to go.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:59 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
I have a Liberty 25 gun with 90min. fire rating and 775# empty in the living room bolted to the floor. The wife hates the way it looks ...
big 'ol pewter gray safe!
I have that same big 'ol pewter gray safe! -- and my wife hates it too! Small world.

Anyways, I have two safes, one is bolted to the floor as well as the the block wall it rests against, that one is in the basement. the other is one of those gun vaults that holds one or two handguns-- it's lagged into a wall stud then bolted down onto the shelf that one is in the bedroom (just in case the bady gets past my 2 boxers that sleep inside lol). I have toddler and he gets into everything. If you have kids around you gota have a safe (IMHO), plus I live in CA. where they banned the fun guns so if one of them was stolen I wouldn't be able to replace it (even if I had the cash ).

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Last edited by JPBeck; 08-10-2008 at 03:05 AM.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #45

Hmm...

Maybe those last two guys are married to the same wife but dont know it???

Handgun of Choice-Sig X5 Competition
Rifle of Choice- FS2000

http://cueandcushion.com

Old 08-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudd357mag View Post
Hmm...

Maybe those last two guys are married to the same wife but dont know it???
I thought there were too many dirty dishes in my kitchen sink when I got home! And I know I don't wear size 12 boots!

Old 08-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #47

Neither do I!?! Triple timing @#%$^! lol

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Old 08-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #48

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Gun Safe....YES!

Couldn't get around someone breaking in while I was gone, getting my weapons, and using them to destroy a life in the commission of another crime.

Don't want to loose the heirlooms I have been entrusted with by my father and grandfather.

Wanted to provide a controlled environment for my guns. Low humidity, controlled temperature.

Needed somewhere to store my ammo under lock and key.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:42 AM   #49

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

My goal is to have at least 5 safes.
1. Pistols
2. Rim-fire Rifles and pistols
3. Varmint/ Bench guns
4. Ammo
5. Class III (If I ever get any).
6. would be odds and ends
7. would be the start of the guns I inherited
10. would be the end of them.

I have also thought about adding a room on the to back or the garage that was about 20x20 and solid 1' thick reinforced concrete on all sides. Then just finish the outside off to look like the house. On the inside would be racks and racks of guns. I would hide the graffunder vault door behind a false wall in the garage.

Right now It is hard to get what few guns I do have all in my safe (23 Gun Timber Ridge) made for Gander Mt. my liberty. If I could afford one I would get the top of the line graffunder safe but they run like $20,000.

What 4 safes for guns from my dad yuppers and them would all have to be big safes at that.....

One thing I learned the hard way. But 3 times the capacity that you think you need.

I have a 23 gun safe and I have outgrown it. I don't have 23 guns either. Now I have to take all the bolts out of my rifles to get them all to fit in the safe. which causes more problems unto itself. Like forgetting the bolts on the way to the range then two of my rifles the bolts are almost exactly the same. I made a card with the rifle and caliber of each rifle and the cards are attached to each bolt while in the safe. Make sure if you are going to have the safe in a room you spend time in like mine is in the family room to take the wife along to look at them. You may like the Dale Jr. bright green safe but your wife may have another thought. I made sure the wife liked the look of the safe before I bought it. The price will go over a little easier if you find one she likes to color of. Mine really liked a Browning safe but freaked when the price was $500 more than the one I got. I told her if that is the one you want then that is what we will get. She said get the red one I said what about Green she said god no go for the red I am not paying $500 for a metalic color.

Does anyone else wash and wax their safe or am I just really wierd. I like to use the mothers spray on wax works really and boy does she shine.....

Last edited by cpttango30; 08-12-2008 at 04:51 AM.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #50

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, bieng compulsary by law to have your firearms and ammo locked away in an approved safe here in Oz, i most definately have one

Proud to be a Sporting Shooter.