Do you use a gun safe? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Do you use a gun safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

A safe is a good investment and sooner or later it will pay off.Years ago my house was broken into.The thief tried getting in my Old Prosteel.He tried prying off the dial and worked on other things. Even at that the old Prosteel kept him out.

Any gun owner/collector would be foolish (IMO) not having a safe or a high security gun room/locker.Especially the way the world is today.
I not only have a safe but a ADT security system for added security.

***** NRA Patron Member *****

Old 05-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #32

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a gun cabinet. It locks but has a glass door, which I suppose would be a problem IF they could find it. It's bolted just to prevent it from tipping.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:26 AM   #33

Here in Australia all longarms must be in a safe constructed of reinforced concrete, or hardwood of 3/4" or thicker with no screw showing, or of steel.
It must weigh 150 kiilograms empty or be bolted down.
It must have a minimum of a 4 lever lock, and magazines, bolts, and ammunition must be in a seperate locked receptacle.

For those lucky enough to have a licence for semi-auto longarms ( EXTREMELY hard to get) or handgun owners, the safe MUST be bolted down and be of a minimum of 1/4" steel.
therefore I have multiple safes, one for longarms, one for handguns, and a combination one for ammo and the keys to the other two.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNUT1100 View Post
Here in Australia all longarms must be in a safe constructed of reinforced concrete, or hardwood of 3/4" or thicker with no screw showing, or of steel.
It must weigh 150 kiilograms empty or be bolted down.
It must have a minimum of a 4 lever lock, and magazines, bolts, and ammunition must be in a seperate locked receptacle.

For those lucky enough to have a licence for semi-auto longarms ( EXTREMELY hard to get) or handgun owners, the safe MUST be bolted down and be of a minimum of 1/4" steel.
therefore I have multiple safes, one for longarms, one for handguns, and a combination one for ammo and the keys to the other two.
They sure don't make it easy on you Australian people.Unfortunately I'm afraid here in the states will get allot worse before it gets better.Once in awhile I hear from a friend from Down Under.He's told stories of the Kangaroo hunts and all the other animals you have there. Sounds like a great place to live.I've been invited down just never made the trip.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman View Post
It is my opinion that the use of a gun safe is most appropriate if such weapons would otherwise be available to young children. In any other case, I do not agree to their use.

Gun safes are ugly and cumbersome. To use any of them, is to know where they will be placed, such that the flooring will accept the weight.

I much prefer to adequately insure my weapons, and then enjoy viewing them; actually living among them. I can't see the ownership of firearms if that ownership must be tempered by fear and hiding.

pikeman
Your post, to me at least, seems somewhat presumptuous as to the reasons one might wish to keep guns in a safe. Poop happens. I don't currently have one but I know what my next tax return will be going towards.

When I am not around, I keep mine in a heavy locked cedar chest.

May you never have a residential fire or burglary. Hope you also have a good firewall that keeps someone from tracing your internet information to your address.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #36

I don't keep my guns in a safe, I do lock my ammo in a lock box and keep it hidden in the house. I have 3 kids at home, they have been taught gun safety since birth.

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:23 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger Redhawk View Post
They sure don't make it easy on you Australian people.Unfortunately I'm afraid here in the states will get allot worse before it gets better.Once in awhile I hear from a friend from Down Under.He's told stories of the Kangaroo hunts and all the other animals you have there. Sounds like a great place to live.I've been invited down just never made the trip.
Quit messing around and get yourself over here!
We have Water Buffalo and Banteng in the Northern Territory, wild pigs with razor sharp tusks and goats with 40" horns in the outback, but you need a permit for roos, although a lot of farmers with crop protection permits will let you help them
We have Fallow Deer, Reds, Rusa, Hog Deer, Sambar and lots of other things too.
I grew up with the nasty laws, as I was too young for a licence when they came in, but I know a lot of guys who are still bitter about it. Losing all semi-auto longarms was a blow, as was losing pump shotguns.

When the restrictions on barrel length came in for handguns we had to get them officially measured, and my father's Ruger Security Six was 0.1mm over minimum length.........he would have been more than a little annoyed if that had gone..

Old 05-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #38

CARNUT1100
I wanted to and almost planed on going Down Under but things changed. I got married,we made a move because she got a good job promotion.Now looks like she is getting another job promotion and another relocation.Steve told me what part he lived in down there but I can't remember. He's sent all kinds of pictures of wild birds cock-a to's. A blue tongue lizzard I think it was.You do have your share of dangerous snakes and that little blue ring octopus. He's shown pictures of actual piles of kangaroos they shot.They export allot of kangaroo meat to Europe and Kangaroo leather is about the best you can get.I was surprised they killed so many but he explained they are a real problem down there and they actually have professional hunters to thin them out.Hopefully one day I'll be able to take him up on his offer.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #39

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Gun safe, a MUST HAVE!

Hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

As I see it, if you own Guns, short or long, a Gun safe is a MUST HAVE ITEM! I only got mine, AFTER I HAD A BREAK IN and lost some FIREARMS! Mine is not a Fireproof Model, it's an old Classified material Safe that I knocked the Shelves out of and re-sert the combination! I paid 45 to get a new lock and set in it! Total Investment less than 50$, it will hold up to 7 rifles if stacked right and a number of handguns and ammo! Thier is no excuse not to have one? if you don't have one, someone can and will come in and stal your stuff! The same folks that so often say they can't affoard one, have 3 TV's a Lap Top 2 ATV's and More? Ya gotta learn to know what ya need, not what ya want? Wal-Mart, K-Mart and others sell Low Cost Versions of them less than $100.00, they sell used in the classified for les than 50$! Bolt these down in a Closet and add a secure door, your set?

Old 05-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #40

Yes, I do.

Whatever else, you never want to come home and have to face one of your own weapons!

Those of you who don't bolt your safes to the floor are making a big mistake. The safe doesn't have to be moved in order for your guns to be stolen. I'm not going to post details on the internet; but, the first requirement to, 'bust a safe' is to get it down onto the floor.

(Trust me!)