Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Do you use a gun safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I don't have no stinking safe.

I have two, ha.

Its still pretty crowded and I keep 3 others quickly available (no kids in the house) for defense.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a safe. I figured it was good insurance.
I bolted it to the floor and then built a closet around it. I figure if you can't find it then you can't break into it.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
900 # (empty) fire lined safe for anything not under my immediate control. I don't need to bolt it down, You would need a tow truck to move it when loaded down with guns.
The doors are very heavy on those things and there have been people seriously hurt from a safe tipping over ontop of them. Granted it is a rare thing, but Sh@t happens. Plus If you are not home who is to say the thieves won't use one of those moving dollies to wheel it right out the door, guns and all. The guy that delivered ours also bolted it down.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:00 PM   #14

Default how to secure it

How did you bolt it to cement? I want to get one and wonder how to secure it to the floor? I am a college grad and dont have much mechanical ability.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are holes in the bottom of the safe.
I bought a concrete rated drill bit, bolts and the concrete anchors for them and washers.
Drill the hole in the concrete for the anchors (I did this after the safe was in place) place the anchors in the holes and bolt the safe down using the bolts and washers.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:50 PM   #16

Mine is not bolted down but is in a spare bedroom closet. We have no kiddies running around here that might try and tip it over on themselves so I haven't been in a hurry to do the bolt thing yet. As with all valuables, the guns are best kept in the safe when not in use. All but the few pistols I keep handy for home security.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:08 AM   #17

yes. and in a locked room

* Rom. 12:12

"The world has yet to see what God can do with and for and through and in a man who is fully and wholly consecrated to Him."
- Henry Varley to DL Moody

"I felt only as a man can feel who is roaming over the prairies of the far West, well armed, and mounted on a fleet and gallant steed." - Buffalo Bill

Old 01-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #18

It is my opinion that the use of a gun safe is most appropriate if such weapons would otherwise be available to young children. In any other case, I do not agree to their use.

Gun safes are ugly and cumbersome. To use any of them, is to know where they will be placed, such that the flooring will accept the weight.

I much prefer to adequately insure my weapons, and then enjoy viewing them; actually living among them. I can't see the ownership of firearms if that ownership must be tempered by fear and hiding.

pikeman

Old 01-20-2008, 01:38 AM   #19

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion11 View Post
We don't use a safe/locker... we just use a locked closet, it works just as well we think.

OK I'll kick your closet door in with one or two kicks even with a solid door. Try that with my steel safe, bolted to a cement wall and floor. No comparison I think.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 02-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #20

Default Safe

4, 2 different.