Do you use a gun safe? - Page 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Do you use a gun safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 03:47 AM   #141
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
That isn't completely true. That what their base policy covers. You can itemize your guns and other valuables for as little as $2-5 a month. I called USAA this week and they told me that to itemize $3k worth of firearms with no deductible it would only cost an extra $3.00 a month on my renters insurance. Pretty sweet
I am not a lawyer and please do not consider this legal advice or counsel regarding insurance policies. That being said, I would recommend checking your policy to see what your insurance company's limit of liability is (how much they will pay in the event of a loss). There is usually only a limit of liability for firearms if the cause of loss is from theft. I do not know what USAA's limit of liability (for loss of firearms from theft) is but typically insurance companies will pay up to $2,500 for theft. There usually isn't a limit of liability should they be damaged or destroyed by a covered peril. Perils insured against are determined by your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy. If the value of your firearms are more than that limit of liability then I recommend contacting your agent or customer service rep to schedule your firearms so you have enough coverage should a loss occur. I also recommend checking your policy to see if it is a named peril policy or an open peril policy. (Named Peril Policies list the causes of loss that will be compensated for whereas Open Peril Policies only list what causes of loss are NOT covered. Such losses not covered against typically include but are not limited to major catastrophies shuch as earthquake, volcanic eruption, nuclear explosion, war, etc.) Check your policy for the specifics. If you have any questions, call your agent or customer service representative for clarification.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:52 AM   #142
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I keep all of my firearms locked in a safe with the exception of my concealed carry weapon. I usually keep that locked in its case if I can't carry it with me and it always comes out at night when I go to bed so that I will be able to defend myself and my family in the event of a home invasion.