Do you use a gun safe? - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Do you use a gun safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 05:08 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
All the history channel stuff I've seen on Australia makes me cringe - poisonous spiders, alligators, "dingo's", man-eating roos...sounds like a smorgasbord of human predation waiting to happen...
Smorgasbord...lol...very good analogy! OK a bit of a checklist..

On the beach:

The Box and Irukandji Jellyfish, Sharks, Stonefish, Blue-ringed Octopus, Cone Shell, Stingray, Salt Water Crocodile, Bluebottles

On the Land:
Snakes including Taipan (No.1 - you WILL die in a couple of mins), Brown, Tiger, Death Adder. Over 200 species of venomous ones, 12 are positively lethal...venomous actually outnumber the non-venomous

Funnel Web, Red Back Spider

In the Rivers:
Platypus, Salt Water Crocodile

Probably more species but I can't think of them atm...

I remember getting quite sick from a Paralysis Tick when I was about 3; luckily my mother found it on me in time to get to the docs...

But it's not the land-based animals you have to worry about. In fact, the sea-life is kinda worse lol

The 'bluebottles' commonly found on Sydney beaches (think mini portugese man-o-wars) & much worse, the irukandji jellyfish up north. Being only about 1/2 inch long & translucent you can hardly see it really, which doesn't help. I read one report about a guy who got stung, and even though unsconscious he was still screaming LOL

see a nice variety of nasty things that can kill you here:

Australia Dangerous Animals

And then there's Drop Bears. hehe

Drop Bears - The Truth

Old 06-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #102

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Smorgasbord...lol...very good analogy! OK a bit of a checklist..

On the beach:

The Box and Irukandji Jellyfish, Sharks, Stonefish, Blue-ringed Octopus, Cone Shell, Stingray, Salt Water Crocodile, Bluebottles

On the Land:
Snakes including Taipan (No.1 - you WILL die in a couple of mins), Brown, Tiger, Death Adder. Over 200 species of venomous ones, 12 are positively lethal...venomous actually outnumber the non-venomous

Funnel Web, Red Back Spider

In the Rivers:
Platypus, Salt Water Crocodile

Probably more species but I can't think of them atm...

I remember getting quite sick from a Paralysis Tick when I was about 3; luckily my mother found it on me in time to get to the docs...

But it's not the land-based animals you have to worry about. In fact, the sea-life is kinda worse lol

The 'bluebottles' commonly found on Sydney beaches (think mini portugese man-o-wars) & much worse, the irukandji jellyfish up north. Being only about 1/2 inch long & translucent you can hardly see it really, which doesn't help. I read one report about a guy who got stung, and even though unsconscious he was still screaming LOL

see a nice variety of nasty things that can kill you here:

Australia Dangerous Animals

And then there's Drop Bears. hehe

Drop Bears - The Truth
I have seen Discovery Channel segments on all of these creatures - by far the scariest for those living near the coast is the irukandji jelly fish.
One TV segment showed a woman getting into an accident while driving her car when a funnel web descended from the sun visor of her car onto her leg.

We have nothing where I live that even comes close except maybe the brown recluse and the northeast rattler, neither of which are aggressive unless they feel threatened.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #103

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I have seen Discovery Channel segments on all of these creatures - by far the scariest for those living near the coast is the irukandji jelly fish.
One TV segment showed a woman getting into an accident while driving her car when a funnel web descended from the sun visor of her car onto her leg.

We have nothing where I live that even comes close except maybe the brown recluse and the northeast rattler, neither of which are aggressive unless they feel threatened.

Yeah they close the beaches in Queensland when hordes of irukandjis come drifting in on the tides...and the tourists complain "It's a gorgeous hot day, why can't we go in?" Well they find that out at their peril!

I guess that's the main difference, apart from the sheer number of things that can kill you. It's the fact that quite a lot of our wildlife will actively GO FOR YOU, with reasonably little provocation Hot summers seem to piss off brown snakes in particular. And we certainly get those lol

Old 06-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #104

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Yeah they close the beaches in Queensland when hordes of irukandjis come drifting in on the tides...and the tourists complain "It's a gorgeous hot day, why can't we go in?" Well they find that out at their peril!

I guess that's the main difference, apart from the sheer number of things that can kill you. It's the fact that quite a lot of our wildlife will actively GO FOR YOU, with reasonably little provocation Hot summers seem to piss off brown snakes in particular. And we certainly get those lol
Well being that you guys already have the most restrictive gun laws in the world, and you have the most dangerous wildlife that could thin the herd of people who aren't in the know, and being that PETA is against killing even flies, I vote we send all the Liberals in this country to Austalia for an extended vacation on the coast during the irukandji mating season...whoever is left after a dip in the ocean will then progress to a 2 week camping trip in the bush...

Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #105
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Re: this thread, I do not use a gun safe; i have two guard cats.

Quote:
In the Rivers:
Platypus...
Say what? Like a duck-billed platypus? What can that do to you, other than look like an annoying mistake of an animal?

The brown recluse isn't always fatal; i knew a chick that survived an elbow bite as a child & a contractor who has been bitten at least four times with no lasting effects. Of course, i also know a former contractor who lost his leg to one recluse bite.

Are machete's & kaiser blades legal there, because you need something if you can't carry a gun.

Last edited by orangello; 06-25-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:46 AM   #106

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Well being that you guys already have the most restrictive gun laws in the world, and you have the most dangerous wildlife that could thin the herd of people who aren't in the know, and being that PETA is against killing even flies, I vote we send all the Liberals in this country to Austalia for an extended vacation on the coast during the irukandji mating season...whoever is left after a dip in the ocean will then progress to a 2 week camping trip in the bush...
Brilliant plan lol. After the irukandji have done their work, it might be even better to ship the remainders up to the Northern Territory and leave them on the banks of croc-infested rivers. In mating season. Then bets can be taken as to whether they survive til morning...

Damn, WE should do that with the 'lunar Green' senators here! The ones who called for the banning of semi-auto handguns cos they were "virtual machine guns" ROFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Re: this thread, I do not use a gun safe; i have two guard cats.

Say what? Like a duck-billed platypus? What can that do to you, other than look like an annoying mistake of an animal?

The brown recluse isn't always fatal; i knew a chick that survived an elbow bite as a child & a contractor who has been bitten at least four times with no lasting effects. Of course, i also know a former contractor who lost his leg to one recluse bite.

Are machete's & kaiser blades legal there, because you need something if you can't carry a gun.

Hmm afraid to say, yeah platypus are indeed venomous The males have a poisonous spur on each hind leg:

Platypus venom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Although powerful enough to kill smaller animals,[2] the venom is not lethal to humans. However, it produces excruciating pain which may be intense enough to incapacitate the victim. Swelling rapidly develops around the entry wound and gradually spreads outwards. Information obtained from case studies shows that the pain develops into a long-lasting hyperalgesia that can persist for months but usually lasts from a few days to a few weeks.[3][4] A clinical report from 1992 showed that the severe pain was persistent and did not respond to morphine. There have been no reported human fatalities.[3
Just because they're kinda cute-looking and furry...well that's just their evil disguise

Hey what haven't we banned down here? I think both machetes & knives in general are out...definately for self-defence purposes. You can't carry any knife in public without 'due cause'...which would mean whatever the particular cop who stopped & searched you decided it should mean. If you can prove it's for your work I think there would be no problem; have often thought about carrying an orange/apple and using the "I use it to cut my fruit with" excuse. But as far as self-defence goes...it's pretty much like the UK & considered an "offensive weapon" ie completely prohibited. In fact you'd probably get charged rather than the crim who tried to mug you!

Don't think we've gone as far as walking sticks yet, however

[apologies for side-tracking the gunsafe thread, btw]

Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #107

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Brilliant plan lol. After the irukandji have done their work, it might be even better to ship the remainders up to the Northern Territory and leave them on the banks of croc-infested rivers. In mating season. Then bets can be taken as to whether they survive til morning...

Damn, WE should do that with the 'lunar Green' senators here! The ones who called for the banning of semi-auto handguns cos they were "virtual machine guns" ROFL
LOL - I think we're onto something here...a new "reality/Survival" TV show! We can have "Crocodile Dundee" host it. "Put another Lib on the barbie"...

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-26-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #108

I do not, but hopefully when I get my own place, I'll get a gun safe.

S.S.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:19 AM   #109

Default safe or not

Safe and lock box...

Old 07-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #110

Only a gun cabinet for now. I should have a safe considering I have 2 young children. No guns in the house are loaded. How much should a fire rated safe go for? I have looked at the safes at Walmart. Not a fan of Walmart by any means. They have a Sentry 24 gun fire rated safe for under $800.00. Any advice on purchasing a safe?