Do you use a gun safe? - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Do you use a gun safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Love the fridge idea !!!

Old 06-24-2009, 04:49 AM   #92

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I keep all my guns and ammo under lock and key.
I don't have a safe but I use gun cabinets. Here is one of the cabinets I use.
Amazon.com: HOMAK HS20136614 14-Gun Security Cabinet with Quick Access Area, Gloss Black: Home Improvement
I got it for a little over $100 it is heavy gauge steel with a quick access box on top.
The other box I use is an old electrical control box that measures 3ft. wide 5ft. tall, & 18" deep. It is also heavy gauge steel & holds a lot of guns. I put carpet on the inside and places for the guns to rest. I have 2 school lockers to hold the ammo.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #93

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Gun safes are highly regulated here by strict licensing. A police officer must check your storage before you apply for a 'permit to accquire' any firearm, and may also turn up unannounced any time to check your safe storage arrangements.

If under 150kg in weight empty, the safe must be bolted to the dwelling foundations with 65mm tapped screws or masonry bolts, and the safe itself must have a 3-point locking mechanism, with 6mm-thick hardened steel for handgun safes, 3mm for longarms.

It is illegal to leave any firearm unlocked, except when cleaning it directly on return from the range. Other than that, it must be locked away at all times.

So, you're looking at 500 bucks minimum before you even think about gun purchase!

God Save the Queen....with all the wild game and dangers in the bush in Australia, I would feel very naked and vulnerable without a gun.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-24-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #94

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The only thing that bothers me about safes, and particularly an air tight refrigerator, is the lack of air circulation and trapped humidity with seasonal changes. What a bummer it would be to open a safe after several months to find rust on all the guns I have nurtured for 30+ years! Dehumidifiers are available, but I don't know if they work 100% - certainly silica gel would need to be replaced frequently. Maybe something as simple as a light bulb - but it would suck to find out the bulb blew a few days after turning it on...I keep my guns in the open air where I can keep an eye on them. It also reminds me to oil them occasionally. Out of sight, out of mind.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #95

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
God Save the Queen....with all the wild game and dangers in the bush in Australia, I would feel very naked and vulnerable without a gun.
My uncle who lived on a bush property shot a brown snake (which are rather venomous!) which invaded his yard once...but that was 20 years ago when you didn't have the stringent gun-safe laws that apply now. Gotta be unloaded, ammo separated/locked, bolt removed & secured at all times when not in use. Not something you can just grab in a hurry, exactly

But then self-defence is not a legal or genuine reason for ownership. Not even against snakes/feral pigs/rampaging camels lol. Of course, name it 'hunting' and that's a different matter if you've got a 'primary producer' licence

Old 06-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #96
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 701 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Australia sounds worse and worse the more I read here about it.

Gun safes to me are a must. Bolted to the slab. I don't get the whole display case thing, just me though.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #97

The way the law is now. if someone gets a hold of one of your gun's and gets hurt.Your up sh**s creek.So I have one and use it.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #98

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
My uncle who lived on a bush property shot a brown snake (which are rather venomous!) which invaded his yard once...but that was 20 years ago when you didn't have the stringent gun-safe laws that apply now. Gotta be unloaded, ammo separated/locked, bolt removed & secured at all times when not in use. Not something you can just grab in a hurry, exactly

But then self-defence is not a legal or genuine reason for ownership. Not even against snakes/feral pigs/rampaging camels lol. Of course, name it 'hunting' and that's a different matter if you've got a 'primary producer' licence
All the history channel stuff I've seen on Australia makes me cringe - poisonous spiders, alligators, "dingo's", man-eating roos...sounds like a smorgasbord of human predation waiting to happen...

Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #99

I own one to keep my firearms secure and also when the Grandkids are over I dont have to worryabout one of the little ones messing with them.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanbybirth View Post
Flyingbrickracing - I like you fridge/safe idea. Don't forget to leave the light enabled when you open the door. I know you used pine, but wouldn't cedar be better. It's bug proof and smells purdy. Cool idea, and it's a safe hidden in the open. Another idea is to put a pistol safe inside the top freezer section.
Cedar would have been nice but I got the pine for free(and about another 250 LF).The light was all messed up (scary old wiring) so I put in a small flourecent tube with a push button switch.
being in the basement it can get damp sometimes so I keep some silica gel in the top and bottom to keep the moisture at bay.

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.