Dehumidifiers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Dehumidifiers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Default Dehumidifiers

Are dehumidifiers worth the investments?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #2

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Always told myself I'd buy one with my first safe

Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, i think that it depends on your climate and your particular house and it's heating and cooling system. everyone's situation is different. even though i live in a very high humidity climate, (East Texas) i don't have one and have no problems with rust at all.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Dehumidifiers

I agree with Axxe. I live in Georgia and it can get pretty humid in the summer. When I was using my safe, I bought a piano dehumidifier which was about the same thing as a Golden Rod but cheaper. Now that I have a vault I have a free standing dehumidifier from Sears and also a oil circulating heater (looks like a small steam radiator) that keeps it a steady 30% humidity and 75degrees.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #5

I live in northern Cali and we don't get humidity. Its just dry heat over here. The only reason I was considering one was because my closet is right by my shower in the master bedroom and I didn't know if that kind of humidity could be a problem.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #6

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Mine works great here in PA.....specially for the wet months....most have a built in humidity reader that lets you know the percentage of moisture in that room. Mine feeds right into the sump in the basement

Old 02-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #7

I'm not looking at a big one. I'm looking at those mini ones that go right into the safe.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #8

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Oh duh....

Well in that case I think the desiccant packs are thre way to fly. I have about 6 of the medium ones scattered around my safe...and like 5 or 6 of the small ones scattered around each of my 50mm size ammo boxes. Cheap and works nicely

Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #9

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I have a dehumidifier rod , 6 medium desiccant packets , and 8 ft of LED lighting in my safe , my safe runs about 10 degrees higher than the outside temp , never a problem with rust , but I do put my desiccant packets in the oven and recharge them every 6 months . I just have too much invested in there to take a chance on letting my stuff get rusty

Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

Zamzow,

I use the large Desiccant Cans! They work great! And to recharge them you just put them in your oven as directed and they are as good as new. However a guy needs something! In time rust will sneak in on you somewhere. I may be crazy but I am paranoid about anything electrical being in my safe with my prized possessions?

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy