Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Concealed-Carry Holster for HK P2000 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/concealed-carry-holster-hk-p2000-86138/)

MattiMuck 03-09-2013 12:34 PM

Concealed-Carry Holster for HK P2000

Hey guys, I'm looking for any recommendations for concealed-carry holsters for my HK P2000. I currently have a Crossbreed, which I have liked; the concealability is great, but the weapon retention is minimal (really nonexistent with mine because it has become stretched somehow, or it was made a little bit loose to start with. I don't really remember). So, basically, I'm looking for a new holster that is just as concealable, comfortable, but with better retention, preferably with some sort of manual release. Any suggestions?

cotex 03-12-2013 03:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've bought four owb with some matching mag holsters from a company called think fast in face book good turn and frinkn cool rigs

MattiMuck 03-16-2013 04:52 PM

Thanks for the info.

phiche 03-26-2013 03:23 AM

Check out N82 Tactical out of North Carolina!

Excellent retention using a dimple in the trigger guard! A twist & draw is easy, check it out

treehugger49 03-26-2013 12:51 PM

Have you considered heating your kydex on the CrossBreed to snug up the fit?

There is a procedure recommended to remedy your problem by heating the kydex with a high-wattage hair dryer and refitting the mold around the trigger guard and/or ejection port to snug up the fit.

Here's one method copied off another forum:

"Like many of us, over time, I've accumulated a lot of holsters. I prefer the Crossbreed SuperTuck, and for quite awhile, was buying one for every (or almost every) gun. Then, it finally dawned on me, that I could probably re-shape the Kydex. I'm hoping I'm not the last one to discover this, but for the benefit of those who may not have tried it yet: It's really not difficult.

I picked up a Wagner heat gun at Lowe's for about $23. It has low and high heat settings, and "low" is all you need.

I insert the gun (to which I'm trying to re-shape the Kydex) into the holster. Take a dish towel (the texture of the fabric seems to make for a nice finish on the Kydex), and wet a portion of it with cold water.

I lay the wet portion over the gun and part(s) of the Kydex I don't want to heat or alter.

I take the heat gun (on "low") and move it back and forth, about 2 inches away) over the exposed Kydex for maybe 10 to 15 seconds. If the Kydex starts to collapse significantly, or turn glossy, you're applying too much heat.

Once heated, I (quickly) remove the dish towel, and use the dry portion of the towel to apply pressure, rub, squeeze, etc, to begin forming. On a pistol, the ejection port is going to be one of your key places to ensure retention, so I make sure to apply enough pressure to make a nice fit/depression there.

Heat, and repeat. The nice thing about the process is: you can always go back and re-heat, tweak, etc.

BE CAREFUL AROUND THE TRIGGER/TRIGGER GUARD. YOU WANT TO BE SURE YOU'VE GOT a GOOD FIT, BUT YOU DON'T WANT THE KYDEX COLLAPSED SUCH THAT THE TRIGGER WILL BE PULLED WHEN INSERTING THE PISTOL

Bottom line: It's really not difficult, and I've successfully re-formed about 4 holsters. Still new to the process though, so to those that have more experience doing it, I'd love any suggestions you might have. To those that haven't done it yet, don't be afraid to try it. It brings good holsters back to life."

treehugger49 03-26-2013 01:05 PM

I might add that CrossBreed has a lifetime warranty. If you don't want to tackle the reforming project yourself, send the holster back to CrossBreed with a description of your problem and they will reshape it for you.

BTW, I've used a SuperTuck Deluxe for years carrying my XD-40, and am very pleased with their product.

ThinkFastHolsters 04-05-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treehugger49 (Post 1191039)
Have you considered heating your kydex on the CrossBreed to snug up the fit?

There is a procedure recommended to remedy your problem by heating the kydex with a high-wattage hair dryer and refitting the mold around the trigger guard and/or ejection port to snug up the fit.

Here's one method copied off another forum:

"Like many of us, over time, I've accumulated a lot of holsters. I prefer the Crossbreed SuperTuck, and for quite awhile, was buying one for every (or almost every) gun. Then, it finally dawned on me, that I could probably re-shape the Kydex. I'm hoping I'm not the last one to discover this, but for the benefit of those who may not have tried it yet: It's really not difficult.

I picked up a Wagner heat gun at Lowe's for about $23. It has low and high heat settings, and "low" is all you need.

I insert the gun (to which I'm trying to re-shape the Kydex) into the holster. Take a dish towel (the texture of the fabric seems to make for a nice finish on the Kydex), and wet a portion of it with cold water.

I lay the wet portion over the gun and part(s) of the Kydex I don't want to heat or alter.

I take the heat gun (on "low") and move it back and forth, about 2 inches away) over the exposed Kydex for maybe 10 to 15 seconds. If the Kydex starts to collapse significantly, or turn glossy, you're applying too much heat.

Once heated, I (quickly) remove the dish towel, and use the dry portion of the towel to apply pressure, rub, squeeze, etc, to begin forming. On a pistol, the ejection port is going to be one of your key places to ensure retention, so I make sure to apply enough pressure to make a nice fit/depression there.

Heat, and repeat. The nice thing about the process is: you can always go back and re-heat, tweak, etc.

BE CAREFUL AROUND THE TRIGGER/TRIGGER GUARD. YOU WANT TO BE SURE YOU'VE GOT a GOOD FIT, BUT YOU DON'T WANT THE KYDEX COLLAPSED SUCH THAT THE TRIGGER WILL BE PULLED WHEN INSERTING THE PISTOL

Bottom line: It's really not difficult, and I've successfully re-formed about 4 holsters. Still new to the process though, so to those that have more experience doing it, I'd love any suggestions you might have. To those that haven't done it yet, don't be afraid to try it. It brings good holsters back to life."

be careful when doing this. Excess retention on the ejection port can cause the edge of the ejection port to chew up the kydex inside causing burs which can cause excessive wear on your firearm. I would opt for increasing the retention around the trigger guard just enough to help it hold only if you find it absolutely neccessary. Most people think that the kydex looses shape over time which is why it needs to be tuned. That is not the case. You have to realize that a hybrid type leather/kydex isnt made to hold the gun in all by itself. When you put the holster IWB and crank your belt down, thats where the main weapon retention comes from. Most hybrids are nice and snug when they are new because the leather backing is still very stiff and the rivets holding the kydex shell still hold the kydex very tight to the leather. as it is worn, the leather gets softer and stress on those rivets may cause them to loosen up some so your holster wont hold the gun like it did at the beginning.