Cleaning question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Cleaning question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cleaning question

So I have always used Kleen Bore kits to clean my pistol and rifle. After talking to my brother last night he told me that the "all in one" cleaner that comes in those kits (Kleen Bore Formula 3) does clean and does lubricate but does neither one very well. I've always cleaned until patches come out spotless but he told me that just because the patch comes out clean doesn't mean the bore is clean. So I checked out my bores (already cleaned with Formula 3) and they are spotless and shiny.

After doing a little research this morning I saw that Formula 3 in now discontinued as well.

Should i be using some other cleaning method? Individual solvents and oils, lead remover, bore scrub, etc...?

What do you gentlemen (and ladies) use?

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #2

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Youll probably get this a lot but I use the Hoppes No9 solvent and Lubricating oil for the most part with some Rem-Lube on internals that need lubrication. Hoppes is fairly good stuff and you can buy it just about everywhere. I dont see them going away anytime soon.

As a side note, I typically dont trust cleaners that advertice 2-in-1. This isnt becuase of bad experiance with them, but rather just becuase I dont trust them.

I have recently found a product online that is supposed to replace the old school rod and brush. I plan on buying one sometime in the next month or so and I will be sure to give a review! The link is below.

Patchworm Cleaning Kit

(The kit comes in a rifle and handgun kits)

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Last edited by BigByrd47119; 09-17-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

I've used good old Hoppes # 9 as a cleaner all my life. As far as lube goes, I use Mobil One full synthetic car oil. A quart of Mobil One and a box of qtips lasts a very long time. I still use the old brush & patch method and haven't switched over to a boresnake yet...

Old 09-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've been using hoppes like the other guys and I see no reason to change. It's worked well for me so far on all of my weapons.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hoppe's#9 (for rimfires) , Sweets 7.62 or G-96 Copper Remover. Depends on the application.Hoppe's #9 doesn't remove copper fouling. After cleaning I spray with G-96 or CLP. Have used G-96 as an after-cleaning lube for 30+ years and have no rust on any guns and it doesn't harm the wood stocks.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the info gents. I went and bought some Hoppes #9 last night, it brings back memories. That must be what my dad used when i was a kid becasue damn it sure does smell familiar. Do they make cologne?

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 09-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #7

I've been using this stuff called Eezox for the past 6 years. I have to say that it blows everything else away. It is an all in one, solvent, lubricant, and protector that actually works. I've never had a problem with it and will never use anything else again. All of my shooting buddys have been using Eezox as well, and swear by it. Hoppes is okay, but can't compare to this. I also like gunscrubber as a super solvent, followed up by the eezox for tougher jobs.
It's very hard to find, but I found a store selling it online about a year ago now, and have been buying it there ever since. I've tried buying it at a few other online stores, but have had bad experiences. I just got a new 18oz can on sale last week. I don't know if it's still on sale, but you can check it out at Suburban Sporting Goods: Est. 1976 | Guns, Ammunition, Gun Care, Magazines, NRA Membership, EEZOX, Sporting Goods, FOID, and More.