Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Cleaning question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/cleaning-question-18191/)

Moss99 09-17-2009 08:23 PM

Cleaning question

So I have always used Kleen Bore kits to clean my pistol and rifle. After talking to my brother last night he told me that the "all in one" cleaner that comes in those kits (Kleen Bore Formula 3) does clean and does lubricate but does neither one very well. I've always cleaned until patches come out spotless but he told me that just because the patch comes out clean doesn't mean the bore is clean. So I checked out my bores (already cleaned with Formula 3) and they are spotless and shiny.

After doing a little research this morning I saw that Formula 3 in now discontinued as well.

Should i be using some other cleaning method? Individual solvents and oils, lead remover, bore scrub, etc...?

What do you gentlemen (and ladies) use?

BigByrd47119 09-17-2009 09:03 PM

Youll probably get this a lot but I use the Hoppes No9 solvent and Lubricating oil for the most part with some Rem-Lube on internals that need lubrication. Hoppes is fairly good stuff and you can buy it just about everywhere. I dont see them going away anytime soon.:cool:

As a side note, I typically dont trust cleaners that advertice 2-in-1. This isnt becuase of bad experiance with them, but rather just becuase I dont trust them.

I have recently found a product online that is supposed to replace the old school rod and brush. I plan on buying one sometime in the next month or so and I will be sure to give a review! The link is below.

Patchworm Cleaning Kit

(The kit comes in a rifle and handgun kits)

NGIB 09-18-2009 09:37 AM

I've used good old Hoppes # 9 as a cleaner all my life. As far as lube goes, I use Mobil One full synthetic car oil. A quart of Mobil One and a box of qtips lasts a very long time. I still use the old brush & patch method and haven't switched over to a boresnake yet...

spittinfire 09-18-2009 12:33 PM

I've been using hoppes like the other guys and I see no reason to change. It's worked well for me so far on all of my weapons.

RL357Mag 09-18-2009 01:16 PM

Hoppe's#9 (for rimfires) , Sweets 7.62 or G-96 Copper Remover. Depends on the application.Hoppe's #9 doesn't remove copper fouling. After cleaning I spray with G-96 or CLP. Have used G-96 as an after-cleaning lube for 30+ years and have no rust on any guns and it doesn't harm the wood stocks.

Moss99 09-18-2009 03:29 PM

Thanks for the info gents. I went and bought some Hoppes #9 last night, it brings back memories. That must be what my dad used when i was a kid becasue damn it sure does smell familiar. Do they make cologne? :D

Targetbuster 09-18-2009 08:48 PM

I've been using this stuff called Eezox for the past 6 years. I have to say that it blows everything else away. It is an all in one, solvent, lubricant, and protector that actually works. I've never had a problem with it and will never use anything else again. All of my shooting buddys have been using Eezox as well, and swear by it. Hoppes is okay, but can't compare to this. I also like gunscrubber as a super solvent, followed up by the eezox for tougher jobs.
It's very hard to find, but I found a store selling it online about a year ago now, and have been buying it there ever since. I've tried buying it at a few other online stores, but have had bad experiences. I just got a new 18oz can on sale last week. I don't know if it's still on sale, but you can check it out at Suburban Sporting Goods: Est. 1976 | Guns, Ammunition, Gun Care, Magazines, NRA Membership, EEZOX, Sporting Goods, FOID, and More.