Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Choosing a proper safe... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/choosing-proper-safe-62277/)

kytowboater 04-11-2012 05:44 AM

Choosing a proper safe...

Wife and I will be buying a house in a year or so. First big purchase will be a big, heavy, safe. Right now we live in a 3 story apartment, on the top floor. I do have a locking metal "security cabinet.":rollseyes: Due to weight and space allowable, that's it. Gives my wife peace of mind, that the guns are locked. Provides me with room to store and organize. I'm curious to know, what brands are among the best in the business. I know that I need a 35+ gun safe, with a two hour fire rating. Any expertise on this would be appreciated.

fupuk 04-11-2012 01:38 PM

What i was told is buy the biggest baddest one you can afford. Im still waiting to buy a "safe" but i dont have $2000 to get a good safe right now. And your gonna need to find a place to put it that will hold the weight of it. Also where are you gonna be buying a house? On my phone it dont show where your at.

silverado113 04-11-2012 01:49 PM

Totally depends on your budget. Stack on has a water and fireproof 24 gun safe for 700 bucks or you could go with a Liberty Presidential 25 gun safe that runs you 3-4K. Cannon has some unique options like interior electrical and internet outlets, they run anywhere between 1-5k. Patriot safes have a unique designs and start out around $1500.

kytowboater 04-11-2012 08:25 PM

Home will be central KY, in a basement. Someone advise that I can build walls around it, with fire rated material.

winds-of-change 04-11-2012 08:29 PM

Do they all bolt to the floor? If not, I would get one I could bolt down.

purehavoc 04-11-2012 08:41 PM

Heres what I suggest if you have 24 guns you butter buy 2x the size you need . Why ? because you cannot put 24 guns in a 24 gun cabinet without damage , scratches , etc you will literally have to put them on top of each other to make them fit . I have a 28 gun I have 13 guns in and its basically full , you cram a couple ARs in it or scoped guns and its cuts your space in half . Just keep in mind its a one time purchase that will last you a lifetime Since you already have a cabinet I suggest to keep saving until you can purchase something 2X of what you have in guns

purehavoc 04-11-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 768093)
Do they all bolt to the floor? If not, I would get one I could bolt down.

I had to drill holes in mine but it came with the hardware to bolt it down with . While I was at it I also put a dehumidifier in it which takes up no space under the front ledge of the door sill

silverado113 04-11-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater (Post 768088)
Home will be central KY, in a basement. Someone advise that I can build walls around it, with fire rated material.

Buy a vault door and have a walk in gun room!:D

kytowboater 04-11-2012 09:12 PM

Thanks for the advice y'all, I like the gun room idea!

silverado113 04-11-2012 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You could use this kind of layout.