Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Cast iron target? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/cast-iron-target-75413/)

Vincine 10-31-2012 09:48 PM

Cast iron target?

What happens to a cast iron pan if itís shot with a 22lr? With a 9mm?

downsouth 10-31-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincine
What happens to a cast iron pan if it’s shot with a 22lr? With a 9mm?

You may want to look on the back of your pan. If it says griswald and intact you could buy alot of targets with the money. If it says griswald and has a cross on the back, even more. If it just has a cross, yep more. If it has a spider on the back you just won a state lottery. Even if it doesn't have any of those, you won't find a better pan for eggs.

Vincine 10-31-2012 10:18 PM

Uh, I was thinking more about a $10 skillet.

Chainfire 10-31-2012 10:29 PM

Cast iron is both very hard and very brittle. I doubt that a .22lr would shatter it, but if it did it break, it tends to throw small pieces at a high velosity.

hiwall 10-31-2012 10:47 PM

A 9mm would certainly go thru(I think). A fair chance a 22 would too.

orangello 10-31-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainfire (Post 997330)
Cast iron is both very hard and very brittle. I doubt that a .22lr would shatter it, but if it did it break, it tends to throw small pieces at a high velosity.

I bought one of those spinner targets for a buddy to plink at while he recovered from a wreck, early this year. It was VERY specific about which pistol calibers it was designed for and which could have unsafe ricochets; it was basically .38, .357, 9mm, .40, and .45, IIRC. It specifically recommended against shooting it with .22's or pellet guns or stuff beyond regular pistol calibers. I lent dude my GP100 & gave him a few boxes of .38 range ammo (WWB). He said it helped pass the time, as he could hobble out to the garage and prop up on a stool and the trashcan to plink at it on the back fence. Everybody happy.

Last week he tells me our less gun-safe buddy (national guard rookie) came over to visit and went out back with the WASR10 to plink a bit while de-crippled buddy finished a video game. He noticed the shooting suddenly stopped, then he looked and didn't see ngrookie out back, then ngrookie came in with a slight limp. :rolleyes: Ngrookie tried to plink at the spinner with the WASR10 from the established shooting spot (outside back door of garage) THEN HE DECIDED TO WALK ON UP TO THE SPINNER AND CAUGHT SOME CHUNKAGE IN HIS LEG. It was bleeding pretty good, but he wouldn't go to the doctor until the next day.

When i see this idjut, i will laugh at him until i soil myself. Then i will remind him about his ND through a car door, FROM THE INSIDE OF THE MOVING CAR (almost got beaten). Then i will remind him of the time he woke and accidentally shot out a window of his house FROM THE INSIDE, scaring the daylights out of a meter reader.

I reeeeeeally hope they can fix this in the Guard, but boot camp and such was a year or so ago. I don't even want to think about him with a live grenade.

Stand Waaaay back to shoot metal; wear eye protection to shoot metal; consider hiding behind something that would stop a bullet when you shoot metal the first time. Just sayin.

edit* The spinner is intact but seriously dented.

Vincine 10-31-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 997376)
. . . Stand Waaaay back to shoot metal; wear eye protection to shoot metal; consider hiding behind something that would stop a bullet when you shoot metal the first time. Just sayin. . . .

I was thinking a hundred yards, and of course, all the rest.

c3shooter 11-01-2012 03:07 AM

As said, there is a world of difference between cast iron, wrought iron, and steel.

Cast iron is harder than a banker's heart, and more brittle than a mother-in-law's kiss. It will either bounce a bullet, or (once you put enough energy in it) shatter like glass. It has no malleability.

That is why you don't make knives out of cast iron.

MarkAD 11-01-2012 06:00 AM

I think they mean it is a VERY BAD IDEAL

winds-of-change 11-01-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainfire (Post 997330)

I have a flat cast iron griddle. I dropped it and chipped the rim of it. Yes, they are quite brittle.