Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Can I buy a suppressor as a minor? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/can-i-buy-suppressor-minor-100294/)

death_angel 11-13-2013 05:00 PM

Can I buy a suppressor as a minor?

Hey guys, Im 16 and I live in Oklahoma. Is it legal for me to purchase a suppressor as a minor? Can I have my dad purchase it and me use it? Wondering if I have any options or if I have to wait until I'm 18. Any feedback would be appreciated.

TexasGunner 11-13-2013 05:10 PM

I would say that since you are not legally allowed to purchase a firearm, then you most definitely would not be able to legally purchase an NFA controlled item such as a suppressor.

HotGuns 11-13-2013 05:59 PM

Negative. You must be 21.

Only legal route that you have is to be listed on a Trust. Then you can possess it or use it but since you are a minor your Dad would have to be present when you shot it.

DrumJunkie 11-13-2013 06:31 PM

....Nope.....

JonM 11-13-2013 08:36 PM

you can own one but you cannot take possession of one. that means you cannot fill out the paperwork until 21. you can be on a trust for now as a legal heir as a minor and moved to owner once you hit 21 but you can not be in possession.

you can inherat one if inheretance is done right.

im assuming your asking about buying one from a dealer... in that case no. must be 21

purehavoc 11-13-2013 11:27 PM

After doing some reading and talking to a dealer , I think you can kiss the trust thing goodbye first of the year . Sounds like if you have a trust you will have to be interviewed by your local CLEO . Sounds like it may come to form 4 or nothing . Now this is word of mouth froma dealer so I dont know how true it all is

TexasGunner 11-14-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc
After doing some reading and talking to a dealer , I think you can kiss the trust thing goodbye first of the year . Sounds like if you have a trust you will have to be interviewed by your local CLEO . Sounds like it may come to form 4 or nothing . Now this is word of mouth froma dealer so I dont know how true it all is

What about the ones in process once the change occurs?

c3shooter 11-14-2013 12:51 AM

It may surprise you to know that a suppressor is a firearm (legally). You may purchase a rifle of shotgun at age 18. ALL OTHERS- 21. Now, most folks assume that OTHER means a handgun. Well, it does.

But it also includes a suppressor, a machinegun, a short barreled rifle, short barreled shotgun, destructive device, AOW, 75mm howitzer and a tactical nuclear weapon.

Until you are 21, an OTHER cannot be transferred to you. It could (in the case of inheritance) be held FOR you by an executor of the estate. So, no, you cannot buy and receive a suppressor if you are a minor.

death_angel 11-14-2013 01:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I figured that would be the case.