Butt stock with a spring?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Butt stock with a spring?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Butt stock with a spring?

Is there such a thing as a butt stock with a spring loaded into it so you don't feel as much recoil on your shoulder? Is that even feasible?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #2

Fairly sure the Blackhawk Axiom stock uses springs.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Yep- it's called a recoil pad. Unfortunately, just a straight forward spring does not accomplish anything- you push it, and it pushes back. Still the same amount of energy. Military cannon and the like use a hydraulic shock aborber, where fluid is displaced by recoil, eating up recoil energy, but that is not a spring, There are also mercury recoil reducers- heavy tube partially filled with liquid mercury- mecury sloshing inside the tube is SUPPOSED to eat up some of the recoil- IMHO, VERY pricy, and questionable effect.

Bottom line- equal and opposite reaction. Lower loaded cartridge, heavier firearm, some autos have slightly less recoil, etc can lighten recoil. Recently bought a 6 lb bolt action .308- it will put tears in your eyes!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #4

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have a Howa 1500 .308 with the Axiom stock. Compared to my friend's Remington 700 VTR it has less recoil. I'm not sure if it is just because mine weighs a ton or not, I don't know what his rifle tips the scale at.

Besides the recoil reducing stock, there is a recoil pad, and it free floats the barrel if you are into that sort of thing. Mine shoots like a champ.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Didn't Hipoint do something like that on their new carbine stock?
Not saying it works, as i haven't shot one.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I believe it was Speed Feed that made such a stock a few years back. We T&E'd one. It did seem to absorb the recoil, but if felt weird to shoot. Basically it stretched out the time in the recoil curve. You still absorbed "X" amount of recoil, it just took "Y + 1/2 second" time for it to act on you. It "felt" like less recoil.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #7

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

PSL rifles have a spring loaded metal buttplate on them....i still to this day dont understand why?...

7.62x54R in semi auto @ just under 12lbs w/scope wouldnt kick if it was a 6barreled rifle?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #8

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Didn't Hipoint do something like that on their new carbine stock?
Not saying it works, as i haven't shot one.
My 9mm 995 Hipoint carbine has a funky spring loaded butt plate. Kind of silly, but I guess some engineer had an apostrophe one day and thought it belonged there.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default spring recoil pad

I actually own the new Hi-Point 40 s&w carbine. The triple spring recoil pad does seem to take a little something off the recoil felt. I also have a fair knowledge of physics and despite all the equal "opposite reaction certainty" there is among the sure about everything crowd they may not fully include the "over time" energy vectors which throws some uncertainty into this equal opposite theory.

If a portion of the shock is absorbed in compression of the springs and the backward movement of the rifle has now (a split second later) stopped. It is in fact quite likely a portion of that energy will transfer into two outputs (A) one being the unfortunate kick to your shoulder and (B) the other being movement of the weapon back forward. I believe this forward "bounce" causes the resulting energy transfer to in fact be less than what would be felt with a solid buttstock. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Now if I could just figure out how to make my 12 ga play nice and stop kicking like a mule when firing slugs. yes no amount of springs is gonna help that beast. Heres to wishing santa swaps my old 12ga for a siaga

Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #10

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by informativedude View Post
I actually own the new Hi-Point 40 s&w carbine. The triple spring recoil pad does seem to take a little something off the recoil felt. I also have a fair knowledge of physics and despite all the equal "opposite reaction certainty" there is among the sure about everything crowd they may not fully include the "over time" energy vectors which throws some uncertainty into this equal opposite theory.

If a portion of the shock is absorbed in compression of the springs and the backward movement of the rifle has now (a split second later) stopped. It is in fact quite likely a portion of that energy will transfer into two outputs (A) one being the unfortunate kick to your shoulder and (B) the other being movement of the weapon back forward. I believe this forward "bounce" causes the resulting energy transfer to in fact be less than what would be felt with a solid buttstock. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Now if I could just figure out how to make my 12 ga play nice and stop kicking like a mule when firing slugs. yes no amount of springs is gonna help that beast. Heres to wishing santa swaps my old 12ga for a siaga
I have to agree . My HP 995 had a spring loaded stock, and I felt

very little recoil from that rifle.