Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Butt stock with a spring? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/butt-stock-spring-40932/)

PeteZaHut 04-07-2011 10:57 AM

Butt stock with a spring?

Is there such a thing as a butt stock with a spring loaded into it so you don't feel as much recoil on your shoulder? Is that even feasible?

jeepcreep927 04-07-2011 11:28 AM

Fairly sure the Blackhawk Axiom stock uses springs.

c3shooter 04-07-2011 11:29 AM

Yep- it's called a recoil pad. Unfortunately, just a straight forward spring does not accomplish anything- you push it, and it pushes back. Still the same amount of energy. Military cannon and the like use a hydraulic shock aborber, where fluid is displaced by recoil, eating up recoil energy, but that is not a spring, There are also mercury recoil reducers- heavy tube partially filled with liquid mercury- mecury sloshing inside the tube is SUPPOSED to eat up some of the recoil- IMHO, VERY pricy, and questionable effect.

Bottom line- equal and opposite reaction. Lower loaded cartridge, heavier firearm, some autos have slightly less recoil, etc can lighten recoil. Recently bought a 6 lb bolt action .308- it will put tears in your eyes!

fireguy 04-07-2011 08:31 PM

I have a Howa 1500 .308 with the Axiom stock. Compared to my friend's Remington 700 VTR it has less recoil. I'm not sure if it is just because mine weighs a ton or not, I don't know what his rifle tips the scale at.

Besides the recoil reducing stock, there is a recoil pad, and it free floats the barrel if you are into that sort of thing. Mine shoots like a champ.

orangello 04-07-2011 08:46 PM

Didn't Hipoint do something like that on their new carbine stock?
Not saying it works, as i haven't shot one.

robocop10mm 04-07-2011 09:41 PM

I believe it was Speed Feed that made such a stock a few years back. We T&E'd one. It did seem to absorb the recoil, but if felt weird to shoot. Basically it stretched out the time in the recoil curve. You still absorbed "X" amount of recoil, it just took "Y + 1/2 second" time for it to act on you. It "felt" like less recoil.

m72law 04-07-2011 11:20 PM

PSL rifles have a spring loaded metal buttplate on them....i still to this day dont understand why?...

7.62x54R in semi auto @ just under 12lbs w/scope wouldnt kick if it was a 6barreled rifle?:rolleyes:

fireguy 04-08-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 481594)
Didn't Hipoint do something like that on their new carbine stock?
Not saying it works, as i haven't shot one.

My 9mm 995 Hipoint carbine has a funky spring loaded butt plate. Kind of silly, but I guess some engineer had an apostrophe one day and thought it belonged there.

informativedude 11-30-2011 04:18 PM

spring recoil pad

I actually own the new Hi-Point 40 s&w carbine. The triple spring recoil pad does seem to take a little something off the recoil felt. I also have a fair knowledge of physics and despite all the equal "opposite reaction certainty" there is among the sure about everything crowd they may not fully include the "over time" energy vectors which throws some uncertainty into this equal opposite theory.

If a portion of the shock is absorbed in compression of the springs and the backward movement of the rifle has now (a split second later) stopped. It is in fact quite likely a portion of that energy will transfer into two outputs (A) one being the unfortunate kick to your shoulder and (B) the other being movement of the weapon back forward. I believe this forward "bounce" causes the resulting energy transfer to in fact be less than what would be felt with a solid buttstock. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Now if I could just figure out how to make my 12 ga play nice and stop kicking like a mule when firing slugs. :confused: yes no amount of springs is gonna help that beast. Heres to wishing santa swaps my old 12ga for a siaga ;)

therewolf 08-30-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by informativedude (Post 640067)
I actually own the new Hi-Point 40 s&w carbine. The triple spring recoil pad does seem to take a little something off the recoil felt. I also have a fair knowledge of physics and despite all the equal "opposite reaction certainty" there is among the sure about everything crowd they may not fully include the "over time" energy vectors which throws some uncertainty into this equal opposite theory.

If a portion of the shock is absorbed in compression of the springs and the backward movement of the rifle has now (a split second later) stopped. It is in fact quite likely a portion of that energy will transfer into two outputs (A) one being the unfortunate kick to your shoulder and (B) the other being movement of the weapon back forward. I believe this forward "bounce" causes the resulting energy transfer to in fact be less than what would be felt with a solid buttstock. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Now if I could just figure out how to make my 12 ga play nice and stop kicking like a mule when firing slugs. :confused: yes no amount of springs is gonna help that beast. Heres to wishing santa swaps my old 12ga for a siaga ;)

I have to agree . My HP 995 had a spring loaded stock, and I felt

very little recoil from that rifle.