Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Bulllet poof/knife body armour?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keginth28

I didn't think they have vest for both but it's always good to see if someone knows or not, but I'm going to by a bullet poof vest and maybe get a knife vest on the front and attach it. Ill send a pic as soon as it comes in.
Can I ask what experience you have with body armor? A kevlar vest with SAPI plate probably weighs 20ish pounds if memory serves me. I've never researched stab vests but from what I've seen they look bulky and heavy. I'm curious as to what it would be like to stack them on top of each other.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Let me tell you brother, the IOTV vest that the military issued me is heavy and he plates that are in it is bulky. I doubt your family would want to wear this heavy, hot gear. Not to mention one large ceramic plate is $690.00 each. There is 2 large and 2 small in an IOTV.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minionsram
Let me tell you brother, the IOTV vest that the military issued me is heavy and he plates that are in it is bulky. I doubt your family would want to wear this heavy, hot gear. Not to mention one large ceramic plate is $690.00 each. There is 2 large and 2 small in an IOTV.
I still remember a gf tried putting on my IBA and kpod. She about fell over trying to walk.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Check out the body amour those guys wore in the North Hollywood shoot-out in 1997 if you get a chance.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha
Check out the body amour those guys wore in the North Hollywood shoot-out in 1997 if you get a chance.
What are we looking for?

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 02-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #16

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha
I'm pretty sure those guy had kevlar vests and a few layers of normal cloths that had something (don't remember what) stitched into them? I do know for a fact that they had taken muscle relaxers.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #17

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I still remember a gf tried putting on my IBA and kpod. She about fell over trying to walk.
I actually liked the IBA over the IOTV. It was lighter and you could maneuver it so as to put the m-4 in your shoulder pocket. These IOTV's have the 2 extra plates for the sides and you have to shoulder the weapon on the vest itself. Takes some getting use to.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
What are we looking for?

Body amour from throat to ankles. I'll see if I can post video on that ....

Old 02-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #19

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

I'm one of those. SAPIs are rated for 3 rounds of a particular cartridge (m240 round, what is that, 7.62x51?), and I know that they can stop up to six X39 rounds. I've personally had a three round burst stopped by mine (X39).

Also, as was mentioned, they are not really knife proof, however, they ARE harder to punch through than skin.
:confused

You mean the vest isn't knife proof, right? The plates are coated ceramic which would easily stop a knife, the original ones were coated steel plates, but were too heavy. If you were wearing all the plates, front, back and both sides, you'd have basically a bullet and knife proof torso except the creases. The plates are rated for 7.62 and the vest is rated for 9mm point blank. Either one will put you on your butt if you take a round with the vest on. You are just more likely to get back up eventually (probably with a new set of broken ribs).

You should look into dragon armor though. They competed for the dod contract and would have won but they failed the intense heat test. In temps higher than like 140 the glue started to destabilize and the discs started to slide around. In the states that probably won't be an issue. It's basically a series of ceramic discs placed like scales that make the armor more flexible. It's rated the same as sapi except that as individual discs fail the rest of them are still good, so if the shots aren't all in the same place, you can take more of them. Also because of the overlap, you have less creases. I think the next dod contract will be a vest like this with better glue.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #20

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Pfev, you got me, I keep forgetting the telepathy doesn't work with you humans

I'm sure a SAPI plate will stop a knife easily, it would be like trying to stab concrete. But SAPIs are an insert, the standard ballistic vest that they are used with is not stab proof.