Bulllet poof/knife body armour?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Bulllet poof/knife body armour?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bulllet poof/knife body armour?

I'm looking to get a few vest for me and my family, is there any type u have or know about that is cheap but worth it?? Never wear one!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Just remember most bullet resistant vests are not knife proof. A couple of guys back at fort drum proved it one evening after drinking. 1 went to the hospital with a punctured lung the other got an article 15.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yep, we nicknamed a guy "Ice Pick" because he wanted to show us his new vest. The pick went through it and stabbed him in the stomach. Good vests aren't cheap. You might find some used ones by inquiring on forums especially related to police work.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8841 Times on 3827 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Bear in mind that NOTHING is bullet PROOF. If you doubt that, will take you to a tank gunnery range so you can see what the main gun on an Abrams can shoot THROUGH (hint- includes small hills)

Vests are rated for different threat levels- most are rated for pistol ammo, VERY few are rated for rifle ammo. Higher the level, higher the costs. When comparing vest, do not look at just the $$$, or you may be comparing a level 1 vest against a level 3.

Also bear in mind that body armor for LEOS is built differentlly than vest for the military- LEO rarely has to deal with artillery and grenade fragments.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I know a couple guys who can attest to the abilities of SAPI plates.

You can purchase plates and vests rated for high velocity small arms. I believe i saw some level 4 stuff floating around.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #6

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
I know a couple guys who can attest to the abilities of SAPI plates.
I'm one of those. SAPIs are rated for 3 rounds of a particular cartridge (m240 round, what is that, 7.62x51?), and I know that they can stop up to six X39 rounds. I've personally had a three round burst stopped by mine (X39).

Also, as was mentioned, they are not really knife proof, however, they ARE harder to punch through than skin.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #7

Yea that's diff want I didn't what to hear lol but thank u all!

Old 02-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #8

If your looking for body armor for you and your family your best bet would be to get carriers that will fit them then purchase the ballistic panels panels to put in the carriers. Buying soft body armor like police wear under their uniforms wouldn' t be cost effective because they need to be fitted. Kids grow to fast so that would expensive. Stab vests are much different than ballistic vests. I' m not aware of any vests that do double duty bur they may be out there. I don't have any experience with military issued ballistic vests so I don't know what options might be available on that end.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
Just remember most bullet resistant vests are not knife proof. A couple of guys back at fort drum proved it one evening after drinking. 1 went to the hospital with a punctured lung the other got an article 15.
$20 says there grunts

Old 02-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSmitty1
If your looking for body armor for you and your family your best bet would be to get carriers that will fit them then purchase the ballistic panels panels to put in the carriers. Buying soft body armor like police wear under their uniforms wouldn' t be cost effective because they need to be fitted. Kids grow to fast so that would expensive. Stab vests are much different than ballistic vests. I' m not aware of any vests that do double duty bur they may be out there. I don't have any experience with military issued ballistic vests so I don't know what options might be available on that end.
I didn't think they have vest for both but it's always good to see if someone knows or not, but I'm going to by a bullet poof vest and maybe get a knife vest on the front and attach it. Ill send a pic as soon as it comes in.