Bullet Proof Vests in Real Life

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Bullet Proof Vests in Real Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bullet Proof Vests in Real Life

In movies, someone who is wearing a vest and gets shorts might be completely unfased. Sometimes, they get knocked down and seem to be in a lot of pain. Sometimes, they get knocked unconscious.

What really happens when a bullet proof vest stops a bullet (shot in the chest)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Bruising, broken ribs, pain.

NOT DEAD.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #3

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I would think it might make a slight difference if you were shot with a .25 auto or a 300 gr. 44 mag.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

yes i would imagine caliber size matters. from my exprience's which are mainly 7.62x39. after taking one shot in the lower part of the SAPI plate. the bullet stopped. the sapi plate cracked in half, and the wearer was bruised, winded and sore. but after a few minutes able to continue. the following days he was sore as well. but living.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #5

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I saw on modern marvels once that getting shot in the vest with a .357 was like getting hit with a 90 mph major league baseball.

You cant believe everything in movies or on tv. Lots of movies portray bullets as being able to make someone fly back 10 feet when shot too but thats just not true either

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-13-2011, 04:39 AM   #6

I wear a level 2 vest with trauma plate inserts at work. Body armor is rated to stop certain types and calibers of rounds only, depending on the rating. The higher the rating, the more types and calibers are defeated. IF the round is stopped, blunt force trauma is still transmitted to the body, causing soreness, bruising, cracked ribs and possibly trauma to heart or other vital organs. You won't be happy but you will be alive.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:08 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut
In movies, someone who is wearing a vest and gets shorts might be completely unfased. Sometimes, they get knocked down and seem to be in a lot of pain. Sometimes, they get knocked unconscious.

What really happens when a bullet proof vest stops a bullet (shot in the chest)
I took an AK-47 round to my chest in March 2007. THAT **** HURT! By the way, the IBA vests we were issued DO NOT always stop an AK, Dragunov, RPK, etc.

Only way I can explain it would be to key the biggest guy you know swing a 20 lb sledge hammer like a baseball bat into your chest.

Anyhow, it cracked 3 ribs. Left a bruise that looked nearly exactly like my SAPI plate ( I was wearing IBA). I couldn't breathe for about a minute after the initial impact, thought I was gonna die!

So yeah, it sucked. The bullet penetrated the outer Kevlar and was nearly thru the plate when the inner Kevlar stopped it.
I was lucky though. Extremely lucky, really. I had a couple of buddies that weren't.

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 View Post
I was lucky though. Extremely lucky, really. I had a couple of buddies that weren't.
I'm glad to hear that and thank you for your service and your buddy's sacrifices.