Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Bullet Proof Vests in Real Life (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/bullet-proof-vests-real-life-51173/)

PeteZaHut 11-04-2011 11:10 PM

Bullet Proof Vests in Real Life

In movies, someone who is wearing a vest and gets shorts might be completely unfased. Sometimes, they get knocked down and seem to be in a lot of pain. Sometimes, they get knocked unconscious.

What really happens when a bullet proof vest stops a bullet (shot in the chest)

willfully armed 11-04-2011 11:37 PM

Bruising, broken ribs, pain.

NOT DEAD.

hiwall 11-04-2011 11:43 PM

I would think it might make a slight difference if you were shot with a .25 auto or a 300 gr. 44 mag.

jjfuller1 11-04-2011 11:53 PM

yes i would imagine caliber size matters. from my exprience's which are mainly 7.62x39. after taking one shot in the lower part of the SAPI plate. the bullet stopped. the sapi plate cracked in half, and the wearer was bruised, winded and sore. but after a few minutes able to continue. the following days he was sore as well. but living.

dragunovsks 11-05-2011 12:47 AM

I saw on modern marvels once that getting shot in the vest with a .357 was like getting hit with a 90 mph major league baseball.

You cant believe everything in movies or on tv. Lots of movies portray bullets as being able to make someone fly back 10 feet when shot too but thats just not true either

Templar 11-13-2011 04:39 AM

I wear a level 2 vest with trauma plate inserts at work. Body armor is rated to stop certain types and calibers of rounds only, depending on the rating. The higher the rating, the more types and calibers are defeated. IF the round is stopped, blunt force trauma is still transmitted to the body, causing soreness, bruising, cracked ribs and possibly trauma to heart or other vital organs. You won't be happy but you will be alive.

CarlsbadRanger06 11-13-2011 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteZaHut
In movies, someone who is wearing a vest and gets shorts might be completely unfased. Sometimes, they get knocked down and seem to be in a lot of pain. Sometimes, they get knocked unconscious.

What really happens when a bullet proof vest stops a bullet (shot in the chest)

I took an AK-47 round to my chest in March 2007. THAT **** HURT! By the way, the IBA vests we were issued DO NOT always stop an AK, Dragunov, RPK, etc.

Only way I can explain it would be to key the biggest guy you know swing a 20 lb sledge hammer like a baseball bat into your chest.

Anyhow, it cracked 3 ribs. Left a bruise that looked nearly exactly like my SAPI plate ( I was wearing IBA). I couldn't breathe for about a minute after the initial impact, thought I was gonna die!

So yeah, it sucked. The bullet penetrated the outer Kevlar and was nearly thru the plate when the inner Kevlar stopped it.
I was lucky though. Extremely lucky, really. I had a couple of buddies that weren't.

boice1971 11-13-2011 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 (Post 626423)
I was lucky though. Extremely lucky, really. I had a couple of buddies that weren't.

I'm glad to hear that and thank you for your service and your buddy's sacrifices.