Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > BSA Optics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 03:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default BSA Optics?

Hey all
I have been looking at a BSA Optics 4-16x40mm Mil-Dot scope (here) but is it a decent scope? it would be for my Remington 700 BDL 30-06 and right now I am looking for under $200 if possible..... thoughts?
Thanks

Aaron

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

BSA's are junk, ya get what you pay for, for under 200 you can get a Nikon or leupold in the rifleman brand.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #3

BSA seems to be hit or miss, more often miss. I might put one on a rimfire for informal stuff but nothing else. The rifleman series is about as good as you can do for around 2 bills. The only other lower priced scope I have had good luck with is Swift. They don't (or didn't) offer a lifetime warranty as Leupold does though.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-riflescope-prostaff-3-9x40.html
This is a sale on Nikon Prostaff 3-9 with free shipping.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 07-14-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by fin24000 View Post
Hey all
I have been looking at a BSA Optics 4-16x40mm Mil-Dot scope (here) but is it a decent scope? it would be for my Remington 700 BDL 30-06 and right now I am looking for under $200 if possible..... thoughts?
Thanks

Aaron
Boy, Aught 6 is kind of a punishing round, I would really hesitiate to put something like BSA on there thinking you were done. They don't have the best track record as others have stated.

It sounds like you have a good quality gun there, I would maybe wait and save some more coin to get a good scope to go with it.

JD

Old 07-14-2008, 04:00 PM   #5

OK so what is about the cheapist (while still being good) I could go whith something 3-9x40mm+ (would prefer 3-12 or 14....) Thanks.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I think I paid about 300 for a Nikon buckmaster, and put it on my 7mm Rem. Mag. I have been real happy with it, and I can see great at night with it, while hunting hogs.

JD, since we are on the topic of scopes, what would be your suggestion to put on a M4. I want some magnafication so I am not looking at red dots or eotechs. I was thinking like a 3x9 as well. Maybe I might just save up some more money and put a bigger badder Leup. on the 7 mag and move the Nikon over to the AR. What are your suggestions.
Thanks

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
JD, since we are on the topic of scopes, what would be your suggestion to put on a M4. I want some magnafication so I am not looking at red dots or eotechs. I was thinking like a 3x9 as well. Maybe I might just save up some more money and put a bigger badder Leup. on the 7 mag and move the Nikon over to the AR. What are your suggestions.
Thanks
That would depend on the configuration of your AR. If you have a longer barrel ( 18" or 20" ) then I could see going with a 3x9, or a 4.5 x 14 which I actually like on a mid range gun. Good field of view, limited magnification where you need it, gives you the ability to look across the frist few hundred yards with great clarity. If you aren't planning on lobbing rounds out to 600 or 700 yards, I think the 3 x 9 / 4.5 x 14 is a real good choice.

Now, if you have a shorter barreled version, I would recommend against anything that strong, because you are going to be doing more harm than good. Get something small that offers some magnification that can snap on/off but still give you close sight applications.

JD

Old 07-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #8

Guns And Ammo did an article on this years ago 'Still Can't figure out why the wasted the space" that was very interesting yet completely lacking in information .

The author spends the time talking of this and that scope that failed over the years and claiming many of them were indeed high dollar name brands yet he refused to name names .

He also stated that many of the cheaper brands had been of surprising quality over the years .

Me I came away from it deciding to get what I felt was easily within my budget while always avoiding the absolute bargain basement $40 scopes and always drawing the line at $200 .

I see no sense in doubling the cost of a hunting rig by adding a scope , my killing a game animal isn't life or death for me and my family .

I have had good luck with Simmons , Cabelas Pine Ridge scopes and oddly even one BSA Cats eye on my 3 06's over the years but admittedly I am not a big rifle guy , on a typical day at the range I put 2 times as many rounds through any one of several handguns than I do a rifle in a years time .

I can tell you this about BSA I own one of their spotting scopes that is lacking in clarity compared to a Bushnell spotter I had years ago .

Old 07-16-2008, 12:03 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 54

My AR has a 16" barrel, I love hunting pigs, and I want to start taking head shots on them. I don't know, I just got frustrated last week when I was shooting and the best group I could get from the iron sights was 3"s. I got pissed off and decided to scope it. That was why I made the other post about ammo. I am just trying to get everything right, so I can make head shots at 100-150 yrds at night.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
My AR has a 16" barrel, I love hunting pigs, and I want to start taking head shots on them. I don't know, I just got frustrated last week when I was shooting and the best group I could get from the iron sights was 3"s. I got pissed off and decided to scope it. That was why I made the other post about ammo. I am just trying to get everything right, so I can make head shots at 100-150 yrds at night.
Well, you can't start a post like this and just leave it half filled out. Spill it all out there brother - what specifically are you fielding and when did it start going downhill? Who made your upper, your lower, your barrel - how many rounds do you have downrange? The whole nine yards. Let's examine this just like you walked into the shop with the same complaint, but I won't be charging you by the hour.

JD