boots to prevent snakebites? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > boots to prevent snakebites?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 01:18 AM   #21
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
There is no shortage of snakes!! If you are going to have guest or kids on the farm, then kill the suckers whenever you see them. I only kill the venomous kind. Get a good pair of boots, plus some snake chaps that fit up to at least the knees. Carry a pistol with snake shot.
I live/hunt in rattlesnake central,and have done so since I was a child. I also deal with them everyday in the oilfield. I have never had any fear of venomous snakes,and rarely will they ever want to bite a human unless they are being messed with.
It's just as easy to catch and relocate them than it is to kill an animal that serves a very good service keeping rodent populations in check.

If you take away their food source and hiding spots ( Brush,undergrowth/Wood piles/Trash piles/etc) the snakes will move on to better area's.

I'm not trying to sound like a snake lover,but more people get bit/killed by man's best friend every year than by snakes. If you find a snake and leave it alone,it will vacate the area pretty fast.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 07-07-2013, 01:50 AM   #22

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith91 View Post
Missouribound I am quite aware of what snakes are in my area. I'm talking about rattlesnakes which when I last checked are quite venomous.
OK....you told me.........

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #23

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
There is no shortage of snakes!! If you are going to have guest or kids on the farm, then kill the suckers whenever you see them. I only kill the venomous kind. Get a good pair of boots, plus some snake chaps that fit up to at least the knees. Carry a pistol with snake shot.
Yep, snake hunting is my pastime when I visit my daughter in Az. and I wear boots and leather chaps and led by the best snake hunting guide in the area, her dog.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-07-2013, 04:14 AM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
I guess none of you have heard of Mojave Greens. They are aggressive.
In Oklahoma?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

[quote=Missouribound;1295208]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith91 View Post
I plan on obeying rule 1 at all times. However apparently the fu%&ERS can get in trees now! My cousin was almost bit when sitting under an oak. I just want to be as prepared as possible while working on the farm. I'm not some snake hunter. I hate snakes. I just want to protect myself as best as possible.[/QUOTE

Very few snakes are venomous. And most will do just about anything to avoid you. The snakes that can climb trees are not venomous. Rat snakes, often called black snakes are good tree climbers, they rob bird nests but they are also very valuable on a farm since they can control mice and rat populations. Snakes are very beneficial. If you hate snakes you have an irrational fear. It's unlikely your cousin was "almost bit". Research the snakes in your area, you will find that 99% are harmless.
one thing... water mocassin can and do climb into trees and are very venomous. venom bearing has no relation to tree climbing. spend anytime fishing the rivers in the south and you will see a mocassin in a tree or have one fall into your boat.

nothing short of plate steel will stop a big snake from biting through your clothing or footwear. i grew up in south texas running around in rattlesnake infested territory wearing sneakers and shorts. watching where your going and paying attention to what your doing and not kicking over logs or sticking your hands under things will do more for keeping you bite free than any amount of specialized clothing that will prolly not work anyway.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

racer_x Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 04:26 AM   #26

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

In the United States 12 people a year die from snake bites. Most of these deaths occur in Florida and Texas. You can check individual deaths for the past 80 years. Oklahoma does not make the list.
As stated most bites occur when someone is playing with "Rattlers". I expect you are more likely to get Poison Oak on your private parts.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #27

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

As a wildlife biology major dealing mostly with herpetology I can't stand when people say to just kill every slithery thing they see. Ignorance is bliss I guess. Keep your range cleaned and cleared of any hiding spots for snakes and/or their prey and you won't have a problem. There are over 120 species of snakes in North America. Of those 120, only 20 are venomous and only 4 of those 20 are what are described as "deadly" to a healthy full-grown man. Learn to identify all of the venomous species in your area. Most harmless snakes are killed negligently due to being an "evil" legless creature. Snakes are a great thing to have around a farm. The best mousers and ratters on the planet.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #28

Liked 74 Times on 51 Posts

I absolutely will be keeping the area trimmed and mowed where I can. Unfortunately I thought I was going to have a place separate from the field itself to shoot, but there's no reasonable room for rifles. Now on the main field itself after harvest I'll have half a mile to the next property with some natural hills and valleys as backstops. So I may only get to shoot rifles between July and January.