Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > blackhawk serpa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 620 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I wore my ALS for the first time today. It is WAY better than my Serpa. My draw is also much faster.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5244 Times on 2735 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Why would he ever need to go prone? Not exactly something that happens in most people's lives that much.
if your in a situation where your wearing a pistol on your chest that prolly means your likely to get shot at. anything that raises yourelevation or has a good chance to fracture your breast bone when hitting the deck is a VERY bad idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The Serpa is one of the most poorly thought out holsters in history. They have a propensity for spawning ND's. You press in with your trigger finger while drawing. The trigger finger slides effortlessly into the trigger guard the gun clears the holster. The trigger finger then depresses the trigger and BANG, you have a new hole in your leg.

Many shooting schools now band their use. My agency has now banned their use. You can do MUCH better. ALS, Hogue, Fobus, even Uncle Mikes are superior to the Serpa.

JMO
im in agreement from personally owning one. i do however think they are decent IF and only IF you spend a lot of time training the draw from one to muscle memmory

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-07-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #13
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The Serpa is one of the most poorly thought out holsters in history.
JMO
Tell us how you really feel!

Frankly, few things in life are called for in dogmatic terms, and I don't see a retention holster system, one of them.

Is it possible some folks have misgivings about Serpa? Is it possible some trainers, do not care to train with them?

Many trainers have back peddled on the Serpa ban. As a trainer, I have never outlawed them in my classes.

I do think any holster, must be trained with to bring about proficiency.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #14
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I remember Ralph Nader getting Corvair vehicles pulled from the American roads. That piece of work, has never had a drivers license! Funny how the people that never use something, are the most vocal critics.

I owned a Corvair van. Great vehicles. I own and train with Serpa holsters, and I would say, they have kept me safe, and kept my sidearm secure. What more is needed?

Old 12-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

if your in a situation where your wearing a pistol on your chest that prolly means your likely to get shot at. anything that raises yourelevation or has a good chance to fracture your breast bone when hitting the deck is a VERY bad idea...
While I don't disagree about going prone with a gun strapped to your chest, I must say wearing a backup gun on your chest while hunting seems like it would probably work out just fine. That's a situation where you'd be wearing a pistol and probably not going to get shot at.

Also some military personnel prefer it while they're deployed. That doesn't make it right, it just means it happens all the time when there is a greater propensity for going prone randomly without an increase in fractured breast bones as a result.

Always have clean socks.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2194 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

We had a long discussion about the Serpa holsters in this thread;
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1389231

Here's my thoughts on them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
1) Pressing a button with my trigger finger means I am already beginning to curl my finger as I pull the gun out of the holster. If I'm under a lot of pressure because I'm in a self defense situation, its too easy of a transition for that finger to keep curling and hit the trigger guard and then the trigger.

2) That trigger finger is supposed to stay straight and land on the slide unless I'm doing reactive shooting directly from the holster. Especially given that I usually only carry weapons with internal safeties.

3) It's easy to keep that finger straight even under stress if its not moving. I dont even think about it anymore. I just do it. I don't want to have think about what that trigger finger is doing until I make the decision to shoot.

4) Every holster I own uses some type of thumb break method (except for the pocket holsters) as part of the release process. It's consistent for me across the board. Since every holster I use has a thumb break, it would be an odd adjustment to me to have to release the retention device on ONE oddball holster with my trigger finger instead of my thumb. And then I would have to think about what gun I was carrying in what holster under stress.

5) I don't want to think about any of those things at all if I'm drawing my gun. I need to have my eyes on the subject and be thinking about what he is doing and I need to be moving towards wherever the nearest cover or concealment is. Everything else should be a reaction.
The safariland ALS concealment holster is worlds better than the serpa for every application that I personally have for this type of holster. Plus it has the option of upgrading it to level III retention. The serpa doesn't.

Here's what mine looks like with the paddle and level III retention options installed. I can take the paddle off and set it up for a regular belt in less than 5 minutes if I need to.

image-4075523673.jpg

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 12-07-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1893 Posts
Likes Given: 558

A lot of guys I served with(aviators) had chest rigs. If it serves your purpose......
I like Hip, Dropleg, Shoulder rigs and cross draw, esp. for an extra gun. As I have two Ribs perm. floating as well as all my Back, Shoulder & Ankle issues, I doubt I'll be diving to flat prone anytime soon..... I'm having enough issues staying on two feet with the neuropathy and crappy balance as it is....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 12-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #18

Liked 99 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
I remember Ralph Nader getting Corvair vehicles pulled from the American roads. That piece of work, has never had a drivers license! Funny how the people that never use something, are the most vocal critics.

I owned a Corvair van. Great vehicles. I own and train with Serpa holsters, and I would say, they have kept me safe, and kept my sidearm secure. What more is needed?
I have a pair of these for 1911s, one has the belt slide, the other is screwed to my Civilian LBE that I wear hunting. They hold and secure A Delta, 1991A1, Sig (GSG) 1911-22 and my Browning H.P. I climb tree stands, get on and off tractors and four wheelers and the latch makes me feel warm and fuzzy about my plastic holsters. It's not hard to see crud could jam them up and one has to watch the trigger finger but for a reasonable price range general purpose holster, just don't see the problem. Have a Blade Tech for a G20 with light and yes it's better, also four times the price.

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.