blackhawk serpa
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > blackhawk serpa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts

Default blackhawk serpa

Who's got the firsthand experience with them? Does it mount well? Is it floppy? I'm looking to chest mount my pistol.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2013, 03:52 AM   #2

Liked 2101 Times on 1157 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

I have never seen one mounted on someones chest. But I own one for my 1911. I use it for my Citadeland my Ruger. To me it is a top notch product. I use it for IDPA competition. It is rock solid. It does not flop around at all. It is hard plastic. It holds the gun securely until you need it. Then it is out quick...really quick. I would buy more. But I am left handed. The only one they make for any of my guns in left hand is the 1911.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #3

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have one for a G19 and a 2 1/2" Judge. They definitely work well. There is a better option now IMO, the Safariland ALS. I have one (hopefully) being delivered tomorrow for my G19.

The problems I see with the Serpa that have been addressed with the ALS are:

1) Your trigger finger releases the weapon and could cause a ND.

2) Grit, dirt, and/or debri could become lodged behind the release paddle, leaving you with a weapon that can't be released from the holster.

3) When trying to release the weapon, it's pretty easy to hit the opposite side of the paddle. This only slows you a second or two, but seconds count in an armed encounter.

4) They are a PITA compared to a ALS to get on and get off. The ALS is available with QLS (Quick Locking System). The QLS can be belt or paddle worn. The holster slides onto it and locks in place. If you need to take off the weapon, the QLS just looks like an empty cell phone holder.

I've used a Serpa for my G19 for about 4 years when the weather is cold. Most months it's too bulky, I'm in Florida. I haven't worn the ALS yet, but when it arrives tomorrow I'll be wearing it. I'll make a post or update here when I've worn it enough to fairly evaluate it against the Serpa.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #4

Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

The ALS system looks like a safer system. I have Serpa IIs and realize to be careful presenting. The ALS system uses a thumb release, rather than the Trigger finger.

Your handgun should stay in your holster 99.9% of the time, so the Serpa is safe most always. It is the .01% I worry about with students using a Serpa.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6613 Times on 3513 Posts
Likes Given: 490

the first time you need to go prone in a hurry your going to instantly realize just how stupid putting a holster on your chest is.

its great for bad tv but highly impractical in rl.

ive got a serpa for my 1911 owb carry. its ok but im not a fan of the locking system. they arent floppy at all.

two issues with it. rare circumstances you can get debris in the lock mechanism and then have to cut the gun out of the holster. second is its easy to get your finger into the trigger guard on the draw if you dont practice A LOT. so under stress or in a big hurry it increases the chances of a nd on draw.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 12-07-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:57 AM   #6

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I have to agree with JonM. If you need to carry the gun high on your body get a shoulder holster. Even if you don't use the shoulder holster all the time they are nice in the winter.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the first time you need to go prone in a hurry your going to instantly realize just how stupid putting a holster on your chest is.
Why would he ever need to go prone? Not exactly something that happens in most people's lives that much.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:40 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

To answer your question the Blackhawk SERPA holster is not floppy and works great with chest piece. A lot of the guys I deployed with bought them. Never fell off or anything. Good luck!

Old 12-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #9

Liked 115 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Why would he ever need to go prone? Not exactly something that happens in most people's lives that much.
It may not happen, but it should. Famous and best advice...."Duck sucker".

Old 12-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3177 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 322

The Serpa is one of the most poorly thought out holsters in history. They have a propensity for spawning ND's. You press in with your trigger finger while drawing. The trigger finger slides effortlessly into the trigger guard the gun clears the holster. The trigger finger then depresses the trigger and BANG, you have a new hole in your leg.

Many shooting schools now band their use. My agency has now banned their use. You can do MUCH better. ALS, Hogue, Fobus, even Uncle Mikes are superior to the Serpa.

JMO