Biometric handgun safes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Biometric handgun safes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Biometric handgun safes

Does anyone have first hand knowledge about any of the newer style "finger print" safes ? Are they reliable? Are they durable? Do they open as fast as advertised? Are they worth the price? What models are better than others? I have a two year old little girl in the house and want to make sure that my handguns are inaccessible to her and readily accessible to myself or my wife if ever needed. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have no experience with those safes, but I do have first hand experience with growing up with guns in the house and having guns in my house with small children.

The best thing you can do is to teach your child that the pistol is not a toy and that they need to respect other peoples' property. It will be two invaluable lessons for her.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:31 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Biometrics, batteries, electronics....eh, I'll keep that old spin tumbler thanks. An intruder cannot cut my finger off and gain access to my weapons, they just have to bring a really big hammer! To stay somewhat serious, education is great but I can remember getting into my dads guns at a curious 10, the hunter safety class came at 12, on the rifle team at 14. I was always careful but access is a temptation.

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 07-23-2008 at 05:35 AM.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

just get the one that works off finger pressure, you lay your hand on it in the pre molded groves and pust the butons which you set, the door flips open in a sec. I sell several of these and all work dam good with prices starting about 50 bucks

Old 07-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have some experience with the Biometrics models. They are pricey, or at least they were, but they do function very well. The programming is supposed to be a piece of cake, but I played with them at SHOT, and watched the demo, and even the rep had a bit of a problem taking people from the crowd and getting their fingerprints to over write the ones from the previous showing though.

That said, they are a sound product and in the demo, they did hit one with a sledgehammer and it didn't open. Granted, they didn't beat the hell out of it or anything, but they did give it a pretty good overhead whack that was resounding.

The kind of safes that righteous is talking about are from GunVault, and they cost about $50-$60. I have one myself that is secured to the under cabinet of the nightstand next to the bed. It's a cinch to get open in the dark, and they make a model that even has an internal light if you so chose.

That said, you can pry that thing open in about 15 seconds with a simple screwdriver, so you aren't getting a really secure model. It will keep the kids out, but it won't keep a determined thief from taking what's inside.

JD

Old 07-24-2008, 03:14 AM   #6

My local gun shop has one on display and it seems to be a little finicky. It seems durable enough, but I wouldn't bet my life on it to get to a gun quickly. It'd be fine for storing firearms if you don't have to get to them in a hurry.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:55 AM   #7

thanks for the useful info fellas, sounds like I will wait till they get the bugs worked out before I pay that kind of money. The Gunvault non-biometric safe sounds pretty decent.