Bifocal shooting glasses - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Bifocal shooting glasses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I don't think you'll ever be able to focus on both the target and the sights at the same time. The eyes just aren't built to do that, even with corrective lenses. If you have to pick one thing to have in focus, pick the front sight.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #12

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Of course you are right about beigng able to see sites and the target will be blurry, but when I stop shooting and move my pistol to the ready position it would be nice to see the POI on a target 15 feet away - that's my problem!

Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #13
Jay

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I shoot with the tri-focals I wear every day. I figure that if I get into a self-defense situation, it's more than likely that I won't have time to switch to the glasses I wear to shoot with.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 08-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #14

If you want your front sight, back sight and target ALL clear, use an optical assist like the Merit aperture. A senior shooter that I have shot with for 35 years has a strip of metal cut from a coffee can lid, that is 1/2 inch wide, and2 inches long. One end is bent to hook over the top of his glasses, and a 1/16th inch hole is drilled in line with the eye. Look through the hole and the target, front and back sights are all clear.

Jim has taken a lot of kidding about his coffee can aperture for years, but since he holds several senior records in pistol silhouette, you can't argue with success!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I shoot with the tri-focals I wear every day. I figure that if I get into a self-defense situation, it's more than likely that I won't have time to switch to the glasses I wear to shoot with.
If you get into a self-defense situation it's also statistically more than likely you won't be needing to use the sights. If you can't put a few rounds center mass at the statistical 21 feet, you need some serious range time, and I don't mean take your time paper punching.

In combat practice with anything but a mouse gun you should strive for 50% of the weapons capacity in a K5 zone... rapid fire without using the sights. A mouse gun shooter needs to shoot to a higher standard due to lighter loads and small magazines.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #16

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
If you get into a self-defense situation it's also statistically more than likely you won't be needing to use the sights. If you can't put a few rounds center mass at the statistical 21 feet, you need some serious range time, and I don't mean take your time paper punching.

In combat practice with anything but a mouse gun you should strive for 50% of the weapons capacity in a K5 zone... rapid fire without using the sights. A mouse gun shooter needs to shoot to a higher standard due to lighter loads and small magazines.
Makes sense to me. I have to ask myself next time I'm at the range, what is my goal today? Is it to practice a self defense scenario, put some bullets into center mass at 21 feet, or do I just want to see how accurate my gun is, or how accurately can I shoot under the best conditions of lighting and sighting.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #17
Jay

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

I didn't mention anything about sights. My point was, shoot with what glasses you wear every day. It's also statistically likely that .... never mind..... and I do just fine at 21 feet, and a bit more, thanks for your concern.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 08-11-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
and I do just fine at 21 feet, and a bit more, thanks for your concern.
Sorry you took it personal. It certainly wasn't meant that way. My comments were intended to inform all the readers of this thread, now and in the future. I'll try not to do it again.