Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Bi-pod or Sling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Bi-pod or Sling?

I'm looking at getting into coyote hunting right away here since a friend has lots of land and seen plenty of dogs around his area. He's already got a call and a rifle set up the way he likes. I just bought my rifle (Remington 770 .243) and now I'm stuck trying to figure out what to get.

A bi-pod would work fairly well since there's a lot of flat land here, basically all we've got in this area. I also like to target shoot while I'm at the range, which has been where nearly all my shooting has been done to this day.
The only problem with a bi-pod I can see is there I won't always be able to see above the grass all to well to take some of the shots available.

Now for the sling. In my mind it's a good "skill" to be able to use a sling properly as it gives you a better ability to take standing/crouched shots, but it wouldn't be nearly as affective as a bi-pod would be when either prone or shooting from a support.

Before someone says "go with what you like best/used the most", I've used them both about the same amount. The sling was used while in air cadets and the bi-pod was used with a friends 700.

So here's my question, which do you guys mainly use/prefer?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1097 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 625

well, with the high grass concern i would suggest the sling. ive also used both. and either can be a great help as long as you practice with it. that being said ive shot 500yards with just my iron sights and sling. just takes practice. going with the sling then gives you more shooting stance options that would be availbe while in the field, like you mentioned sitting, standing, leaning on a tree or being on uneven terrain.. just my .02... i own both

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I agree with JJ. You could also get a walking stick/mono pod if you're looking to crouch or sit in the grass and camp an area for awhile.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #4

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Use both......

Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I might actually look into finding a way to use both since I've never thought of that. My only problem would be finding a way to attach both since I've only got a single mount up front and on in the back.

If I can't go with both, I might go with the sling while hunting and in the off season or when not shooting at coyotes I'll just stick the bi-pod back on. Most likely just keep the sling though. Haha

Old 04-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #6

A detachable sling swivel can be mounted to a Harris bi-pod.

http://www.grovtec.com/products_swivel_pairs.php

Old 04-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1097 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Thanks guys. I might actually look into finding a way to use both since I've never thought of that. My only problem would be finding a way to attach both since I've only got a single mount up front and on in the back.

If I can't go with both, I might go with the sling while hunting and in the off season or when not shooting at coyotes I'll just stick the bi-pod back on. Most likely just keep the sling though. Haha
most bipods have a stud that allows a sling. id show a picture of mine but im not able 2 at the moment
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14
A detachable sling swivel can be mounted to a Harris bi-pod.

http://www.grovtec.com/products_swivel_pairs.php
So would this just attach to the bi-pod after its been mounted then?
I'm still on the newer side of accessories since I haven't really looked at a whole lot except for optics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1

most bipods have a stud that allows a sling. id show a picture of mine but im not able 2 at the moment
I'll be sure to see if I can find on that has a sling mount on it.
Think Walmart would carry any like that or would I have to go to a sporting goods store to find one?

Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #9

"So would this just attach to the bi-pod after its been mounted then?"

Yes it will attach to the Harris bi-pod after it has been mounted so you can use both. The only bi-pod I can think of that doesn't allow for swivel sling attachment is the Atlas bi-pod. There may be other bi pods that don't have provisions for mounting swivel slings to them but not sure which ones they are.

Last edited by mrm14; 04-09-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14
"So would this just attach to the bi-pod after its been mounted then?"

Yes it will attach to the Harris bi-pod after it has been mounted so you can use both. The only bi-pod I can think of that doesn't allow for swivel sling attachment is the Atlas bi-pod. There may be other bi pods that don't have provisions for mounting swivel slings to them but I sure which ones they are.
Sweet stuff, I'll start looking around for a reasonably priced one. Probably check a whole sale place by me and see what their asking.