Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Bi-pod or Sling? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/bi-pod-sling-62153/)

kaido 04-09-2012 05:35 PM

Bi-pod or Sling?

I'm looking at getting into coyote hunting right away here since a friend has lots of land and seen plenty of dogs around his area. He's already got a call and a rifle set up the way he likes. I just bought my rifle (Remington 770 .243) and now I'm stuck trying to figure out what to get.

A bi-pod would work fairly well since there's a lot of flat land here, basically all we've got in this area. I also like to target shoot while I'm at the range, which has been where nearly all my shooting has been done to this day.
The only problem with a bi-pod I can see is there I won't always be able to see above the grass all to well to take some of the shots available.

Now for the sling. In my mind it's a good "skill" to be able to use a sling properly as it gives you a better ability to take standing/crouched shots, but it wouldn't be nearly as affective as a bi-pod would be when either prone or shooting from a support.

Before someone says "go with what you like best/used the most", I've used them both about the same amount. The sling was used while in air cadets and the bi-pod was used with a friends 700.

So here's my question, which do you guys mainly use/prefer?

jjfuller1 04-09-2012 06:36 PM

well, with the high grass concern i would suggest the sling. ive also used both. and either can be a great help as long as you practice with it. that being said ive shot 500yards with just my iron sights and sling. just takes practice. going with the sling then gives you more shooting stance options that would be availbe while in the field, like you mentioned sitting, standing, leaning on a tree or being on uneven terrain.. just my .02... i own both

Cattledog 04-09-2012 06:57 PM

I agree with JJ. You could also get a walking stick/mono pod if you're looking to crouch or sit in the grass and camp an area for awhile.

mrm14 04-09-2012 07:09 PM

Use both......

kaido 04-09-2012 07:39 PM

Thanks guys. I might actually look into finding a way to use both since I've never thought of that. My only problem would be finding a way to attach both since I've only got a single mount up front and on in the back.

If I can't go with both, I might go with the sling while hunting and in the off season or when not shooting at coyotes I'll just stick the bi-pod back on. Most likely just keep the sling though. Haha

mrm14 04-09-2012 07:49 PM

A detachable sling swivel can be mounted to a Harris bi-pod.

http://www.grovtec.com/products_swivel_pairs.php

jjfuller1 04-09-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido (Post 766021)
Thanks guys. I might actually look into finding a way to use both since I've never thought of that. My only problem would be finding a way to attach both since I've only got a single mount up front and on in the back.

If I can't go with both, I might go with the sling while hunting and in the off season or when not shooting at coyotes I'll just stick the bi-pod back on. Most likely just keep the sling though. Haha

most bipods have a stud that allows a sling. id show a picture of mine but im not able 2 at the moment

kaido 04-09-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14
A detachable sling swivel can be mounted to a Harris bi-pod.

http://www.grovtec.com/products_swivel_pairs.php

So would this just attach to the bi-pod after its been mounted then?
I'm still on the newer side of accessories since I haven't really looked at a whole lot except for optics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1

most bipods have a stud that allows a sling. id show a picture of mine but im not able 2 at the moment

I'll be sure to see if I can find on that has a sling mount on it.
Think Walmart would carry any like that or would I have to go to a sporting goods store to find one?

mrm14 04-09-2012 08:29 PM

"So would this just attach to the bi-pod after its been mounted then?"

Yes it will attach to the Harris bi-pod after it has been mounted so you can use both. The only bi-pod I can think of that doesn't allow for swivel sling attachment is the Atlas bi-pod. There may be other bi pods that don't have provisions for mounting swivel slings to them but not sure which ones they are.

kaido 04-09-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14
"So would this just attach to the bi-pod after its been mounted then?"

Yes it will attach to the Harris bi-pod after it has been mounted so you can use both. The only bi-pod I can think of that doesn't allow for swivel sling attachment is the Atlas bi-pod. There may be other bi pods that don't have provisions for mounting swivel slings to them but I sure which ones they are.

Sweet stuff, I'll start looking around for a reasonably priced one. Probably check a whole sale place by me and see what their asking.