Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Which is a better safe? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/better-safe-64073/)

silverado113 05-08-2012 08:01 PM

Which is a better safe?

Two safes to choose from and both have up to a 24 gun configuration capacity. The difference in price is $100 bucks. Just wondering which one is better in the opinions of those in the forum?

Cannon Challenger 24 Gun Safe $499
High Security Door
Massive 4 in. steel composite door
High-security commercial grade
Type 1 electronic lock
1 in. active-locking bolts
Surefire multiple re-lockers
3 layers extra-hard, 60+ RC steel hard-plate protects the lock
True lock internal hinges
5-spoke handle
Exterior measurements 26 in. W x 20 in. L x 60 in. H
Weighs 360 lb.
Unibody construction delivers maximum ruggedness and strength
Pre-drilled bottom for bolting to floor
Heavy gauge steel for long term durability
Finished in a durable hammer-tone paint
High grade upholstery finished shelves, walls and inset door panel
1200°F for 30 minutes
Triple fin in tumescent cold smoke expandable seal that expands many times its size when exposed to heat

Winchester 24 Gun Safe $599
Fire Resistant to 30 minutes @ 1400° F
UL listed electronic lock
UL listed for Burglary, RSC & California DOJ Compliant
Holds up to 24 long guns
PalusolŪ door seal
2 layers of 1/2 in. fireboard in door
2 layers of 1/2 in. fireboard in body
4-way active bolt work
Twelve 1-1/4 in. dia. locking bolts
Auxiliary relocker
Drill resistant hard plate & chamberlain disc
Door panel organizer
5-spoke handle
Convertible gray interior
Durable granite gloss powder paint finish
59 in. H x 30 in. W x 22 in. D
Cubic capacity: 22.5 cu. ft.
Weight: 507 lb.
Limited lifetime warranty

Robc10x 05-09-2012 02:52 AM

I would go with the heavier safe with better fire protection. Couple of thoughts tho. First, figure out what size you want then get the next size up from that. It will never be big enough trust me on that. Second, although they are reliable and safe, electronic locks can fail. Mechanical ones can too, but they don't have batteries. Third, unless it is important to you, having a shiny finish adds cost you may not need. If you are like me and store your guns away from view, having the base finish means you can spend more on stuff like lighting or a heat rod.

vincent 05-09-2012 04:41 AM

If the choice is between the two I'd go with the Winchester.

1-Heavier, it'll have more trouble walking off on ya...
2-Great fire protection at that price
3-By the measurements it seems a little deeper, may offer a little more room, every little bit counts.

The only thing I'd want different would be to get the traditional combo lock, e-locks can be accessed much easier

Got any pics?

silverado113 05-09-2012 04:46 AM

Here is the Winchester http://www.tractorsupply.com/-1043297 and here is the Cannon http://www.tractorsupply.com/-1027670 my concern was with the electronic lock as well but that's all that is available. I was thinking the Winchester as well but heard Cannon was good and I haven't heard anything on Winchester safes.

vincent 05-09-2012 04:55 AM

Same here, seen the Win's a bunch but don't know much about them.

I'd like to know where they get the figure "24 gun safe"...maybe if you take out all the shelving and grease the sides you can squeeze 24 in there. Maybe they mean 4 long guns and 20 handguns...;)

All things considered the Win looks good, that's a great price too. I'd research the validity of their fire rating, then I'd jump on it...I paid 700 for mine and it's just about the exact same thing as the Win...seems like a good deal to me if their claims are valid...:cool:

fmj 05-09-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 794730)
Same here, seen the Win's a bunch but don't know much about them.

I'd like to know where they get the figure "24 gun safe"...maybe if you take out all the shelving and grease the sides you can squeeze 24 in there. Maybe they mean 4 long guns and 20 handguns...;)

All things considered the Win looks good, that's a great price too. I'd research the validity of their fire rating, then I'd jump on it...I paid 700 for mine and it's just about the exact same thing as the Win...seems like a good deal to me if their claims are valid...:cool:

Personally, I'd GO WITH THE CANNON!

When doing my research the winchester was looked at sent towards the bottom of the heap. Cannon and Liberty were towards the top due to warranty, accessories, and other things. Cannons and Liberties got the highest reviews.

TSC caries the Cannons for a good price. Big R carries the Liberty Fat boys for the same basic price...

That cannon your looking at was what i had decided on, (mainly what drove me over the edge to cannon was the power point and usb/ethernet connection already built in)it also came with a machanical lock....but i went with the cannon 48 gun instead. For the price increase it was well worth the money...even tho that model only comes with an electronic lock.

BRAD313 05-11-2012 04:30 AM

Cannon made in the USA

Shoobee 05-11-2012 04:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Generally the heavier the better.

If you have kids, then you need a touch keypad entry though.

If no kids, any lock is fine.

Red_Neck 02-03-2013 06:45 PM

I looked at both at TSC

I bought the Cannon because of price and warranty. Onmly isse with Cannon is a drilled hole in the back of mine at the bottom. I wanted to add a media plug for harddrive but not sure if I can.

I have successfully put 12 guns on one side. but i had a tough time getting them in there. I plan to make a new gun template and shift tem to one side and make smaller shelves, 60/40.

449.00 at TSC its hard to beat the price

PSYCHOFREAK3 06-06-2013 08:12 PM

I am trying to decide between the two. This Cannon specifically is made in Mexico not the USA according the the tiny black sticker on the upper left hand rear of the safe. Variance between the warranties on the safe itself appears to be Cannon warrantying flood where Winchester does not, however the electronic lock has a one year warranty on either safe the Winchester has an optional 9 year extended on the lock for I believe $75 bucks. Cannon 4 active locking bolts with an antipry seam along the hinge side, Winchester 12 active locking bolts, 5 on either side one on top and one on bottom. Cannon 1" bolts Winchester 1 and a quarter bolts. Cannon internal hinges, door opens to 90 degrees, Winchester external hinge door opens almost full 180 and I believe you can take the door off for moving. Outside of that the only difference I saw in person was the location of the pre drilled hole for electricity, the cannon being dead center about 10 inches up from the bottom and the Winchester being in the lower right hand corner.

Mods I understand this thread is old, however when googling either of the two safes our site comes up pretty often within the first couple of hits so we may as well keep it updated.